SOHO PBX with Asterisk

Hammond, thanks for your answer. I made some tests with Asterisk using a softphone and it seems to work pretty good. So you say I need x FXS modules for x analogic phones and y FXO modules for y outbound lines...but do I need a FXO module even if I have a digital line or it is necessary only for analogic lines? I have other questions, please:

1) TDM400P card drivers are included in the product (they come with the digiun card) or they must be downloaded from somewhere? I read they must be recompiled with the kernel but I cannot recompile our server kernel or ask our netadmin to do it (he would kill me!!)...isn't there another way to include them inside linux? 2) ...and if I need 20 phones? Should I buy 6 TDM400P cards? Our server hasn't got so many PCI slots...is there another solution (or card)?

Thanks again

Giorgio

Reply to
Giorgio
Loading thread data ...

What sort of digital line? ISDN? T1? PRI? You need to get a proper interface card to match what sort of line you have. FXO is for an analog POTS line.

You'd download them off the asterisk site. They can be loaded up after the system is loaded. But I'd highly recommend that you run this as a seperate server than any existing server you have.

If you need 20 analog phones and aren't going to be replacing things with IP phones, then yes, having 6 TDM400P cards would be a problem with most machines. You'd want to either build up seperate servers just to get the PCI slotage you need, or take the end-stations out of the PBX on a T1 and buy a channel bank to take the T1 out to FXS DS0s, or replace the analog sets with IP phones which just talk IP to the system over the Ethernet.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.