Asterisk INTERCOM PAGING

I recently took on a project to setup a decent phone system 10 phones with Linux and asterisk. We have a decent layout planed out on how the system will work. found some decent voice over ip providers

just need now to purchace phones. But if we are to spend $200-350 on each phone we dam well wanna now it supports Intercom and paging with our phone system . We do not want to find out later that the phone we bought only mentioned it might support or that it has the feature but does not work with our setup.

Question is has anyone been able to do this with asterisk? and what phone did you use?

I am being recommened to use cheep grandstream phones.

-they do not have muilti lines support and the new phone that is not out yet noone seems to know enough about them to risk spending money on.

Sipura same as above.

Snome has a model 190 I think.. but I hear it might work not that it actually works . I need to know for sure . Phones are not cheep !! if they where we could afford a mistake like this.

Cisco 7960. I hear people can do it but no one has confirmed they have actualy done it. They have licencing and I am told are hard to firmware upgrade and are not as simple to configure like the granstream or a sipura device.

If your not familuar with paging or Intercom terms. When someone calls and the call is parked (put on hold) then the receptionist can now hit a key combo like (*33) or something like that and now speak across all the phones through the speaker phone part something like

"call on line 2 for joe, joe you have a call on line 2"

Can anyone help me.

Reply to
m
Loading thread data ...

At the moment cant help yet as I havent taken delivery of the new Mitel 5215 Sip phone. I will be getting it next week and will let every one know how it performs, as its priced well at £155 not sure o fthe US price though it will be good competition to the Cisco sets

Ian

Reply to
Ian
155uk converts to 155.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds =

362.996 CAD Canadadollars

Not a huge diffrence in cost.

voipsupply.com sells the cisco 7960 $317 Canadian

So price does not matter .. Are you familuar with asterisk's if you are can you see how well and easy it is to setup Paging and intercom on it.

m.

Ian wrote:

Reply to
m

I've seen demos of Polycom 500 and Polycom 600 phones setup with Astserisk with full intercom and paging support. There is some additional information here:

formatting link

Reply to
jht

Yes, but this link you left, I have read. It gives me the feeling that it does not tottaly work. what they have on snom seems very iffy and fragile, is there true intercom?

So you got to see this demo do what. one phone picked up dial a code and one othere phone picked up and you could hear there voice through speaker phone.

what if part scares me

what if there are 5 phones one person is on the phone the otheres are working away then I pick up main desk phone dial code speak. it rings all thous phones only one answers and gies the intercom type msg? I dunno I will read more up on the phone you mentioned.

I guess what I am trying to say is did you see it do more then one phone?

so I know its possible and was it buggy ?

snipped-for-privacy@lava.net wrote:

Reply to
m

Why don't you ask the Asterisk community directly... ???

Go to

formatting link
and subscribe to "Asterisk-Users". With

8,000+ subscribers on the list there should be a good chance your questions will be answered. :-)

But, first do your homework and search the Wiki..

formatting link
Like this ??
formatting link
/Soren

Reply to
Soren Rathje

Maybe there is confusion about the terms "intercom" and "paging". They are often used in different ways.

Intercom is typically just station to station calling. You dial a code on your phone to ring another one. If they pick up, you can talk. You could set it up to ring groups of phones instead of just one phone.

Paging is dialing a code on one phone, and talking. Your voice then is broadcast either via overhead speakers, or on the speaker phones of the phones on the system. No one has to pickup a phone or push any buttons to hear the message.

Paging with handsfree answerback, is dialing a code on one phone and talking. People hearing the page can talk back to you without having to touch their phone.

Paging can typically be targeted to single phones or gorups of phones. Or in the case of overhead paging speakers, to areas of a building.

Asterisk with the appropiate phones and configuration can do all of the above.

While I've only seen a demo of Asterisk with Polycom phones doing these functions, there are descriptions in the wiki of doing these functions with other phones.

Jim

Reply to
jht

formatting link

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Call it what you will PAging or Intercom. To this day I have ready many have tryed it and that there are work arounds . Thats great BUT DOES IT WORK. does anyone have a SIP phone that does this.

I am not fussy I do not mind if its done though a auto answer trick.

I am Still left with the big question. What phone is best to buy to set up Paging (to call all phones they auto answer or support something * supports to auto pickup and relay a voice from a certain key press across the system!)

What phone do I buy. what phone is a safe bett?

Snom 190?? cisco 7960?? Poly 500-600??!

Grandsteam sipura? sombody? has to know..

Please !!

Gosh I wish there was a asterisk newsgroup.!

m.

snipped-for-privacy@lava.net wrote:

Reply to
m

formatting link

This still tells me really nothing.. that this and that phone have some support but there is really no mention of anyone actualy using it. and what phone works best. its too vage!!

Reply to
m

formatting link
- Asterisk-Users has archives back to 1999, not a newsgrup but certainly a source for inspiration and knowledge.

IRC: irc.freenode.com, channel #asterisk where on average 300 users are chatting/lurking/debugging/fixing/dreaming and "kram" (Mark Spencer) or one of his marshalls are usually listening..

The Asterisk channel now requires that your nick be registered with the Freenode Nickserv in order to participate. This measure has been taken to combat spambots and the like. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please "/msg NickServ help register" in your IRC client to learn how to register your nick.

/Soren

Reply to
Soren Rathje

Yah ugh , we need a NEwsgroup all to just asterisk

Reply to
m

K this is a follow up if you read the whole thread.. but snom 190 phones heck Snom in general has to be the coolest phone on the market. Its runing Linux people..

And yes it does do Intercom.. Eat your heart out this is the phone.,..

Dam it now buy this phone in droves so the dam price will come down please.. selling features..

-support will not curl up and die after so many years because its open source. (linux)

-firmware upgrades usualy grow when a item becomes popular.. and well just the open source part of it and the fact they want to concentrate on makeing cool SIP hardware thats just so dam cool.

now if I could just get a cell phone that works with my provider with the 2 way and the features i use plus a few sip lines on it WiFi then thats Cool

m wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
m

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.