Re: Home PBX Info: Switching Between Landlines and VoIP

[snip]

Now, what I want to do is have all outbound LD calls go out on the

> Vonage line automatically. Right now, I have a separate cordless > phone for that line, but that's not the optimal answer! :-) \\
[snip]

Lee Sweet

> Datatel, Inc. > Manager of Telephony Services > and Information Security > How higher education does business > Voice: 703.968.4661 > Fax: 703.968.4625 > Cell: 703.932.9425 > snipped-for-privacy@datatel.com >
formatting link

The short answer is: Asterisk

formatting link

The long answer: ...

I use Asterisk with 1 Danish VoIP, 1 UK VoIP and 1 US VoIP provider as well as 1 regular PSTN line. The dialprefix tells Asterisk which way to go :) Incoming calls go either direct to an extension or into a ACD where all phones ring. Unanswered calls go to VoiceMail. Conferences can be hosted if family meetings are required.

Asterisk can do regular FXO/FXS using hardware from Digium (inventors site), ISDN-BRI from various sources or T1/E1 equipment from various sources.

Protocols are limited to OSP, Enum, Dundi, ADSI, SIP, H.323, MGCP, SCCP (Cisco Call Manager), IAX. Other projects (there are many) available for install are: Nortel native protocol support, FAX send/receive and SS7.

The smallest system for Asterisk reported so far is an X-Box, I've heard of people working on Sony PS/2 implementation and also builds ment for install on LinkSys WBR's so basically anything bigger goes, AMD, Intel or PowerPC running some form of Unix; Linux, BSD, OS X, Solaris ... (pending hardware support)

Anyway, for my last homesystem, I downloaded the Asterisk@Home ISO, made a CD, put it in the pc and powered up. The @home project will format the disk, install CentOS-3 (stripped down RedHat Enterprise), install Asterisk PLUS additional tools so in fact you will (almost) never need to telnet to the box, you can do mostly everything from a browser. I had it up and running in a usable state in a couple of hours.

formatting link
Really good reading is here, especially the WiKi is a goldmine of information!

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

/Soren

Reply to
Soren Rathje
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.