Recommend hardware

Have a small transportation logistics company and we do a lot of Canadian and US calling, I was looking at the Vonage ads and wondering if someone could recommend some hardware that would allow me to use a regular phone and also allow me to have four phone lines. I would appreciate it if when line 1 was busy it rolled over to line 2 and 3 and 4 etc... Will the PAP-CA being sold by Vonage and Linksys handle this? THANKS

Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

Check the install guides.

formatting link
check the features.
formatting link
especially note "ring lists" for virtual and toll free numbers.
formatting link
Types of Ring Properties

1-Sequential Dialing (one at a time) Sequential Dialing means that your virtual or toll-free number will ring each number in the exact order of your Ring List. If a number on the Ring List is in use, the next number on the list will be dialed immediately. If every line is in use, the call will go into voicemail for the primary number in your account.

2-Random Dialing (in random order) Random Dialing rings every number in your Ring List in random order. If every line is in use, the call will go into voicemail for the primary number in your account.

3-BlastMeSM (all at the same time) BlastMeSM rings every number in your Ring List simultaneously. The call will connect to the first person to pick up the line.

I'm not sure what your best system might be. With Vonage, you can have virtual numbers with almost any area code (that ring your primary number) this allows you to be reached as a local call in that area; the call will be forwarded to your main number.

Note also that Vonage is portable. The vonage modem can be transported anywhere there is an ethernet connection, and will work.

Also note that the softphone can be loaded on your driver's laptops and used to "phone home" while on the road with any type web access. This is an "add on" service with 500 monthly minutes for $10. I recommend the SJ softphone rather than the XTen softphone; Vonage supports both.

You may be required to obtain a business account. I have no experience with these.

The unlimited use (US/Canada) is hard to beat. Sound quality is excellent. I have had *NO* problems for over a year. I don't use all the features, but a regular phone company would charge you for most of the features that are free with Vonage.

I suspect that you may need several accounts, but can augment these with virtual numbers, call forwarding, ring lists and softphones for your drivers use.

You may also wish to consider using free peer-to-peer utilities such as Voiceglo for over the road communication. (using a PC)

formatting link
"Blue" is free peer-to-peer, and the upgrade plans allow you to call regular land-line phones at a low rate. Sound quality is great, charges are prepaid, and when used peer-to-peer-- calls are free.

I hope this helps. I don't have a lot of experience with the plans and features, but they are there and configurable for a lot of different circumstances.

Please be aware that when weather downs the electric grid, or the web crashes (it does happen) You will be without phone service. Make plans for a back-up method of contact.

Pepperoni

Reply to
Pepperoni

THANKS for the great information, it would have taken me days to find this much useful information.

Reply to
HotRod

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.