Skype headsets

This may well be a silly question - I'm trying to get into the whole Skype thing and need to buy a headset.

There seems to be a vast range of prices =A33 for something that looks like a typical mic/headphone set. =A340 for something that looks like a phone.

Is there actually any difference? Obviously want to save money and not pay for silly features I don't need.

TIA

Reply to
redyellowgreenblue
Loading thread data ...

I depends on what you want... Check here: Skype phones and adaptors

formatting link

Reply to
AndrijG

I guess it also depends on how much you will use Skype. If its a few minutes,several times a week, a cheap headset with Mic will do the trick. If you will use it daily, then its worth getting something better. Also, it depends on how you intend to use it. If you are sitting at your computer, then a wired headset makes sense. If you want to be able to talk at length and not necessarily sit at the PC, then a wireless solution works better.

George snipped-for-privacy@portaone.com

formatting link
PortaOne enables Internet telephony service providers (ITSPs) and voice network operators to quickly and efficiently implement, manage and deliver a wide range of solutions for their services

Reply to
naftali

And a SIP based system not reliant on any PC at all works even better.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Having gone through several headsets that I was not satisfied with (all Logitech), I stumbled upon the Plantronics DSP-500 headset. This is a USB headset with truely incredible audiophile quality fidelity and a noise canceling microphone that is very sensitive. Best of all, it is available (on this side of the pond) for about $40.

If you plan on using skype to any extent, a quality headset is worth the investment!

There seems to be a vast range of prices £3 for something that looks like a typical mic/headphone set. £40 for something that looks like a phone.

Is there actually any difference? Obviously want to save money and not pay for silly features I don't need.

TIA

Reply to
Charles Thistlethwaite

The Plantronics headsets are the Skype approved ones, and available from both Plantronics a Skype websites.

pzboyz

Reply to
pzboyz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.