iPhone share of U.S. traffic hits 69%

The iPhone continues to take over the smartphone market, it has now taken 69% of all smartphone traffic, which ironically is getting close to iPod share...

In February it covered 51% of the pie. By April it had grown to 59%. And by Thursday morning, when AdMob released the May edition of its U.S. smartphone pie, Apple¹s (AAPL) share had grown to 69% ? a 10 point increase in one month.

More here:

formatting link
Congrats everyone!

Reply to
Oxford
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:20:31 -0600, Oxford wrote in :

Why? Is this some sort of mission?

Reply to
John Navas

Apparently, a mission to consume bandwidth in wretched excess, as inefficiently as possible.

Reply to
News

people used to say that about the web around 1992, no news there. bottom line... apple is paving the future for all of us, evn if you aren't smart enough to understand what is happening quite yet...

check out apple's new sensor patents, incredible stuff!

formatting link

Reply to
David Moyer

Not exactly; fanbois are paving themselves into a corner.

Soon fanbois will have to pay the piper for the bandwidth waste being generated by their small band, who rightfully should pay higher charges associated with their wretchedly excessive and inefficient use.

Enjoy your triple digit dollar per month data plans, fanbois!

Reply to
News

said the Punchcard Operator to the Guy sitting in front of a Terminal in

1969 :)

no, i turned on tethering last night on my iPhone 3GS and it was free. so there won't be any additional charges. sounds like you are behind the curve.

Reply to
David Moyer

Free? Nothing - is free.

Reply to
zara

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:54:05 -0600, David Moyer wrote in :

Really? Citation?

Got a cite for that too? Or must we take your word for it?

Reply to
John Navas

AT&T Tolerates iPhone Tethering Technique - PC Magazine 12:13 PM

look it up yourself

AT&T Tolerates iPhone Tethering Technique - PC Magazine 12:13 PM

next time, try and keep up on the news, you probably still don't know that Michael Jackson is dead.

Reply to
David Moyer

And when the terrorists knock out our all-digital world, the terminal guy will ask, "can I borrow your keypunch and card reader?"

Reply to
Tim Murray

They don't tell you "it doesn't do tethering".

Reply to
Tim Murray

AT&T tethers with other phones now. I think they're just figuring out a way to soak users for more money.

Reply to
Tim Murray

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:05:04 -0600, David Moyer wrote in :

Next time, read your cite before posting -- it doesn't say what you claim.

Reply to
John Navas

nah, they are just concerned about bandwidth as it absorbs 4, 5 million new iphones over the next few months... once all that settles down, they flip the switch, and rumors continue there will be no extra charge.

Reply to
David Moyer

"Rumors continue?" A few hours ago you just posted a link to a PC Mag article ("AT&T Tolerates iPhone Tethering Technique") which said: "We have said that we will offer tethering at some point in the future," [AT&T spokesman Mark] Siegel said. "We will not say right now what the price is, though there will be a fee."

Reply to
Todd Allcock

That's the most likely turn of events. Pay up, fanbois!

Reply to
News

we'll see, the rumor is there will be no additional charge below the 5GB cap.

Reply to
David Moyer

Good luck with that. I suspect it'll go the way of the "smaller,cheaper iPhone with cheaper data plan" rumor.

In aggregate, iPhone users are consuming far more than their share of system resources, and getting away with it because you're spending more than everyone else. You're like the United States in cellular customer form. ;)

Historically, you guys have demonstrated a wilingness to pay whatever AT&T is asking for service, even when it lacked features other customers have (3G, MMS.) What possible incentive does AT&T have to give you anything for free since you'll open your wallets on demand?

Here's MY rumor, Oxy- you'll pay $30/month extra to tether, just like smartphone users, else the tethering app will deny access. My guess is that the delay is more about adding the appropriate "blocks" to the netork than preparing for an "onslaught" of users. If anything, I'd suspect iPhone users would be light tetherers. The more you use your phone for web, email, and time wasting, the less you need to lug a computer around.

Reply to
Todd Allcock

well, it's currently free to have tethering on your iphone, so that should remain the same.

yes, the iPhone nano is still a ways off, but obviously that will happen in time.

yes, it's expensive to blaze the trail for others to follow, that is nothing new to apple users.

why is money such a concern? this is about changing society, not about money. ATT is a puppet of Apple in all of this, they signed the contract, so they have to perform to Apple's script.

currently it's $0.00. what you are not yet understanding is iPhone users come from the pure computer world, where there are always workarounds. the Cell networks will have to bend to us, not the other way around. We control this market now... as ATT is learning.

Reply to
David Moyer

it's currently not supported and is also a terms of service violation, and it is very unlikely that the price will remain the same. at&t said there will be a fee, just not how much. they did say that it won't be $55/month as one rumour suggested, however.

nonsense. they both signed a contract and nobody outside of either company knows the exact terms (but there's a lot of wild speculation).

nonsense.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.