vonage or a similar set up

I am wanting to look for a new way to use the phone like vonage...what I read on their site sounds good but I am looking for what they dont tell you...i dont mind loosing a few things to get a better price but want to know a little more about it..such as i have dsl with my phone company along with my local and long distance ...can i dump the local and long distance and still keep the dsl...or does any one have any good and negative feed back.I will try to look thro some of the emails for some answers but would like some up to date answers since tech. is improving daily...thanks LAURA

Reply to
LAURA
Loading thread data ...

Vonage will charge you rental and sell you kit that is locked to their service. You may be better off with other providers who don't charge rental and allow you to pre pay or pay as you go. But you will have buy your own equipment, if you have router then all you need is Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) and any old phone. Alternatively you could get a router with VoIP port(s) (built in ATA).

Probably not, but unless you say where you are and who is your telco...., nobody can help you. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

I am in georgia and my dsl is with bell south....mcdonough ,georgia..... thanks for the answer

Reply to
LAURA

I would think you'd need to keep at least a bare local landline to keep the DSL but like Martin² said it would probabaly depend on your provider. To save costs I dumped my long distance, kept my local line for a failsafe (you have to consider 911 emergencies) and went with SunRocket voip(

formatting link
to use for long distance. I chose them because there was no equipment fee and no contract + free phones.

There are many other voip providers, a couple of good places to find info are

formatting link
and to compare services and costs use
formatting link

----------------------------------------------

veni, vidi, velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Reply to
Anonymous

I just did a similar thing using a new VoIP service called Igonet. I canceled my local and long distance service on my primary telephone line. I actually canceled the DSL and went with cable due to some long term decent pricing they have in my area. I've outlined the whole path I took onmy web site if you want to learn more.

formatting link

Reply to
heis2

Yes, but you'll probably have to fight for it. If you tell them you don't want their phone service, but you want DSL so you can use VoIP, then for them to say No would sound a lot like an illegal attempt to suppress competition.

Verizon told me over and over that it was impossible, but finally one guy admitted that IF I wanted to use a VoIP provider, then I could keep my DSL at a higher price.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

What you end up getting is a bare DSL line without shared voice services. Plenty of ISPs offer this. All of them, generally, end up charging more for this service than just piggy-backing along on an existing POTS line. I'm sure it has everything to do with how the ILEC offers them the lines. There's a ton of regulations associated with how the owner of the wire (the local telco) is required to offer the ability for another company to make use of it.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.