Presario V2000, US Robotics phone, Skype, lots of noise

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop, and I'm trying to get a US Robotics 9601A USB phone

formatting link
to work. It's supposed to work with Skype; I have version 2.5.0.141. I can make the calls alright but the received sound on the other end is very bad. I the voice turns into a whine, sort of.

US Robotics tech support said bad phone or bad computer, but had no further advice other than to try the phone in another computer. Don't have one..

When I plug in the phone, a balloon says that this device would perform faster if you connected it to a HI-Speed USB 2 port. The laptop only has 3 available ports, and it doesn't seem to matter which one I use. I see the USB ports in Device manager but I think they're the same. Is the USB slowness the problem? Is there anything I can do?

Reply to
Nehmo
Loading thread data ...

Yes. Does that laptop have a PC Card (PCMCIA) slot? You can buy USB 2.0 adapters for this slot. And they are not that much on eBay either. Although I don't know if it will solve your problem. As USB 1.1 should be fast enough for VoIP. Say you are not trying this on dialup, are you? Or a slow broadband connection? Or an USB hub?

Reply to
BillW50

I have an expansion slot, I'm on a decently fast DSL connection, and I'm not using a hub. So there's a difference between USB ports. Apparently there's a 2 and a

1.1, you say. I'll have to read up on this. Maybe I can find a forum for Skype or something where somebody else has had the same problem.

Thanks for the reply. I d> > I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop, and I'm trying to get a US

Reply to
Nehmo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.