Problems with Skype

I've installed Skype on a 5+ year old laptop (Compaq Presario 1277,

477mhz, 64mb) running Windows 98SE, 56K dialup mode. As would be expected, I'm having problems with the sound quality. I know that Skype is designed for more modern computers, but I've seen posting of some who have been sucessful.

These are my thoughts on what could be wrong, besides getting a more powerful computer or chosing another VOIP program.

1. The microphone: unlikely as it has worked well in the past with voice recognition software.
  2. The computer program: Skype seems to work okay. It installed well and ran well, but seemed to be slow. As a matter of fact, many people were trying to Skype me while I was Skyping someone else.
  3. The use of a dial-up modem: I am hooked up to a 56K dial up modem; I don't have broadband or DSL. On various newsgroups, it appears that some people have been able to use a 56K modem, but they too have had sound problems.
  4. The computer itself: I think this is the root of my problems. As mentioned previously, this laptop is about 5 years old and runs at
477mhz and 64mb RAM. I think it just might be too slow to be effective for Skype. Unfortunatly, I can't use computer at work. If there are other VOIP & similar programs that could successfully run in this environment, please let me know, as I would appreciate your comments.

Tony snipped-for-privacy@emory.edu

Reply to
Tony
Loading thread data ...

Give Voiceglo a try:

formatting link
"Bluephone" is free, and even gives free "anyphone" minutes. Once you get registered, calls are free between Blue users. I believe that the glo2go is java.
formatting link
********* WARNING! DO NOT login to Glo2Go Express if you are using the same PC on which your GloPhone software is installed. Doing so will cause Glo2Go Express to replace your GloPhone.

**************** Sound is good, even over dialup. Check out the premium plans.

Good looking dialpad and simple to use.

I use W98se, don't use Skype because 98 wasn't listed----- you could use a bit more memory.

Pepperoni

Reply to
Pepperoni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.