Wireless drops with NO notification

Hello, I have XP Home SP2 bundled with my notebook and my notebook has Broadcom BCM4318 wi-fi adapter on it. And i have US Robotics Wireless router. I'm having frequent wireless drops which are not notified with in "taskbar" or in "event log".

For example, when wireless connection drops between router and adapter, the wi-fi taskbar icon is still seemed as "connected" and connection time counter contiunes to count seconds as well. Also i'm using Broadcom's 3rd party wireless software with same drop- notification-free symptom.

I tried plenty of workarounds to get rid of wi-fi drop with no success; At first times i was thinking the wireless drops were because of bad notebook or router positioning, then i brought notebook and router into the same room with resulted same drop problem. Also i tried all channels 1,6,11 with no help.

I tried these resulted with no help:

1-Moved router and notebook into the "same" room (signal strength reported "perfect", signal level goes around -50 to -65dbi)

2-Disabled WZC(Wireless Zero Configuration), used Broadcom's native Wi- fi utility.

3-Uninstalled-Reinstalled drivers of Wi-fi

4-Removed "my" cordless phone to have a test, but i cannot intervene to my neighbour's wireless networks or devices(phones, ovens) as it's their freedom of living.

***The only soultion to get rid of this frequent drop problem is to click XP's "repair" connection button, or disabling - re-enabling wireless connection brings wi-fi to life.

Any useful help will be aprreciated so much as last chance.

Regards...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen
Loading thread data ...

I have had this on several occasions and the connection hasn't dropped it's just that data couldn't be transferred, router was still showing as being logged on. Most common problem was interference from other networks, on one occasion a neighbour was using "Turbo" mode on a router and swamped several channels.,

When you say "all channels" do you mean all channels or just 1,6 and 11? Have you checked to see which channels are used by the networks in your location?

1,6 and 11 are always the ones that are recommended so everyone just seems to use these and forget about the others and it is sometimes worthwhile trying 4 and 9.

Does it actually fluctuate by 15bB?

Reply to
kev

Hi, "kev" and thank you for taking care my problem.

First, I only tried channels 1,6 and 11 which are loopback channels. I didn't tried another channels because of being unsure of stability and performance of channels excluding 1,6 and 11.

The unluckiest thing is that i have a lot of wireless routers and networks of course around my building of my neighbour's.

I'm sure i'm dropped because when this drop is experienced eventhough it seems connected in system tray or in apps, i connect Cat5 cable and connect to router over cable, then i checked "wireless client list" of router and my notebook disappears in the list. That prooves wireless drop. When wireless is stable and normal, my notebook is listed in "wireless client list" of router.

Signal quality goes between -50dbi and -60/65dbi with no change of router/notebook placement. Noise level does not go worse than -90dbi.

Anyway i'll keep using other channels, but is it safe and stable using channels except 1,6 and 11?

I'll inform the advancements.

Thanks...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

I have just done a quick scan of my router and the signal hardly fluctuates.

formatting link

I am sure you are aware of "Overlapping", however I have found when using wifi indoors the attenuation due to house construction is such that the overlapping signal level is so small that it has minimal, if any, effect.

Reply to
kev

fluctuates.http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apal7.jpg>

Looked at your statistics and it's almost the same with me. So, what to do? Do you say signal/noise/SNR values normal? What is the reason of drop in your opinion?

Also which channels should i use except 1,6,11 with safe and stable?

Thank you.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

That was normal without any interference from other networks.

Without doing a scan of your neighbours networks to see which could cause the biggest problem it is difficult to say. For me:

1x neighbour uses Ch 11 but his signal is about -75dB 2x neighbours use Ch 6 one has a signal of about -62dB and the other -83dB 2x neighbours use Ch 1 one has a signal of about -70dB and the other -80dB

The largest amount of interference is the Ch 6 one at -62dB so after much experimenting I use Ch 9 and have had no problems for several months.

Reply to
kev

Does your notebook drop on a public Wi-Fi hotspot? If so, you've got a problem with your notebook. If not, suggest you try a different wireless router (e.g., Buffalo).

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:09:17 -0700, kimiraikkonen wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Hi.

If you are using an ethernet cable from the SAME laptop to check your router, then yes, the wireless will, by default disconnect from the router when you plug in your ethernet cable anyway. Make sure it's a different pc you are using to check the laptops wireless connection to your router.

Fine, possible false test but not important.

I've had the same problem in an environment where there is no interference. Appears to be connected, but no ping to router. Repair works as does going into services and restarting wireless zero config. In my case am pretty sure it's on the laptop's end.

So do some swapping out to see. As John said, try the laptop with it's built-in on other APs or hotspots to see how it performs then. Also, you can get a cheap usb adapter and see if you have the same problem on the same machine with a different adapter.

Another thing: is there any correlation between this problem and hibernating or shutdowns?

Just for kicks, I would be uninstalling and reinstalling the client drivers and utilities with generous restarts. Clean it all out of there and start again.

Also it may be a windows thing, and something needs to be rebuilt. Sometimes installing another wireless adapter (USB adapter) and then going back to your built-in will toggle something in Windows.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Hi Steve, I have an ADSL 2+ router with AP feature connected to only my notebook. John and you offer me to try notebook with a different AP or hotspot? Am i right? (sometimes it's not easy to apply this idea, but worth to try when conditions are possible). I also tried re-installing adapter drivers latest.(Broadcom 3.46.100, i don't know newer, researched). Also i didn't install and try with a USB adapter.

I tried disabling WZC and using Broadcom's self utility with no help. No relationship about abnormal shutdowns and hibernations.

Also, how did you solve the problem of yours which is the same of me Steve? As you experienced, it seems connected, but cannot ping anywere including router. The only solid evidences i found are signalling decreasements worse than -60dbi. And speed decreases to worse than

36mbps when problem occurs with no router and notebook placement change.

So, How did you solve yours? (I don't think it's interference but i'm not sure)

Thanks.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

Sorry, I can't give you a simple answer. To be honest, it's happened to me a couple of times on different laptops and adapters and depends. Sometimes it says its hooked up like with you, other times, it just won't get an address. I kinda lump the two together and forget which solution worked for which.

Sometimes it's the laptop and just reinstalling the utility has fixed it. I rememeber that once or twice, plugging in another adapter, like a USB, using it, then going back to the built-in somehow broke the logjam.

The other day it happened again, right after I answered you. I changed a simple unrelated setting on the router and then it rebooted, as usual. When it came back on, my laptop said I was connected, but no ping, no internet.

I went through a few of the above-mentioned moves, but I knew the router had gotten bent outta shape on the re-boot, so I got off my butt and hiked over to it (another hill) and unplugged and replugged it. A re-boot. That fixed it. Our router (Buffalo) is generally reliable though, and it has only done that twice in nearly a year of constant fiddling.

So, it may just be your router.

Unless it's easier to just spend money, first try the USB with your laptop and your router and then try a hotspot as suggested. Once you have done that, you will see where the problem lies. If the USB works fine with your router, then it's your built-in. If your laptop works fine at a hotspot (or a friend's house) then it's something with the router.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Hi Steve, First of all, thank you for answering with such a detalied and familiar answer. I'll keep in mind trying with a different USB adapter but i've a few questions:

My router is US Robotics USR9108 and US Robotics are the most respected and expensive routers available in my country. Netgear and Linksys can be found very less and Buffalo cannot be found, isn't distributed.

1-What happens and what are the dangers of trying channels EXCEPT 1,6,11? What makes special channel 1,6,11? Why do people offer channels 1,6,11?

2-US Robotics's USB 125mbps adapter USR5412 can be found and set up with 125mbps MaxG connection that suits my router, but i read some consumer reviews with these complaints: "Signal strength is much more less than built-in ones, and consumptes much more power when using with notebooks" Link of product:

formatting link

3-Today i experienced 2-3 drops again with urgent results. Drop occured with no notification again, seems connected (Broadcom utility or WZC-XP Home_SP2) and "repair" function locked up the computer, resetted computer then established connection again... The Singal was under -50dbm and noise was below -95dm...

So, what do you say for these statements?

Thank you...

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

Sorry, my experience is limited to Linksys and Buffalo and Apple. Maybe Jeff or somebody can tell you more about USR. I know they made good modems back in the day.

It looks like it's expensive, has many features in the firmware and terrible customer support. (What else is new?).

Here's what a quick search for user reviews on your router show:

" The setup is easy and intuitive. I have got the DSL configured and up in no time; however, I face problem connecting to the wireless; 'coz' it kept comes on and off!. I had to disable the wireless on the USR9108 and use my old one. I have not configured the print server yet; trying to resolve the wireless problem first "

" I have a Maxg USR 9108 which i brought for having a wireless network at home. So far i have not been able to configure it as a wireless router."

"As far as the wireless go, this router seem to be outperformed by my Microsoft MN700. I'm getting better distance with the MN700 with better reception between structures (ceiling, floors, walls). "

No dangers. It's just that you want as much seperation as possible from other signals to avoid interference. They overlap quite a bit, so

1 and 3 or 7 and 10 will interfere with each other. So, if there are two signals in the air, keep them far apart- 1 and 11 are the farthest apart in the US. If there are three, then use the middle one too (6) and you are still fairly seperate. If there are more than three in your space, then I suppose the other channels allow a little bit of seperation, but you are probably going to get interference.

I can't tell you much except that if you do nothing (no shutdown, hibernate, no changes) and all of the sudden it drops, then I don't believe it's the laptop. I'm leaning towards a router or interference problem.

I suppose it could be compatibility issues between the router and the built-in, but I'm guessing wildly. Besides the other two tests, you could try restricting the connection speed on the router to 12 Mbps speed and see if anything changes.

Really, the two tests we mentioned will tell you more than guessing about it.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.