Grandstream phone dead - help me please

Hello,

I'm using iconnecthere, I have a router netgear DG834G 54mbit and a DSL line.

I had 2 grandstream connected to the router plus a Zyxel wifi 2000,

I had registered the 2 grandstream and were working fine.

Today, some hours ago, I see that the display of the sip phones become blue and if I I touched the menu or numbers of the keyboard nothing can be changed, I cannot place a call etc etc..

so I think .. reboot all, I go to digit the IPs and nothing.. so I decide to reboot the router, when I did it, I see that the display of the 2 grandestram become blue without any text displayed.

I cannot do nothing, seem dead all, I can see something that is flashing in red under the keyboard, as if the phone is out of service or have some proplem I don't know why.

I cannot reach the IP of the phones, while the router yes and seem ok.

I'm europe and the sip provider is in new york.

Then, if can help, in the same moment stopeed to work my VPN that is done with Usa always.

Can be something due network problems with Usa from Europe?

Can I do something, just wait or the grandstream are gone bad? I had it since 2 days only!! are new .. I really don't know what to do,

help me thanks!!!

Reply to
vopa
Loading thread data ...

Grandstream are killed if they are downloading new software (maybe automatically if configured to do so) AND the connection is stopped duing the update.

I have a killed one myself :( No switches inside to reset to factory setting. I just had to waste some more money on a new device (another company this time!)

Sorry, not much help from my part then

Reply to
Christen Fihl

"Christen Fihl" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

is incredible what I read!

However just right now I have the VPN again up, the problem is that the grand stream don't react, I will try to connect to the ip and reboot... but if I read what you read.. I need to think to start to kry,

I update you soon

Reply to
vopa

"Christen Fihl" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

nothing... the display is blue... and dead ...

I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY DOWNLOAD ... and you say that we have not warranty, good to know, I hope soon to have a better phone to choose becouse this is a big delution.

Reply to
vopa

The manual say something like (out of my head): "do not interrupt the firmware update as ...."

Maybe a warranty claim can be issued, I did not try to use it.

Reply to
Christen Fihl

in may pack there was not the manual, and however I never seen the download, I just seen the phone highlight with a blue and stop, then was not possible to click or move something in the menu', buttons etc.. very strange

however, now I'm buying 2 new phones, where to keep updated the phone with the latest firmware and how to say to do not update automatically, and I repeat, I haven't seen this today, and he is dead in a strange way.

Reply to
vopa

You can disable the update function by not having a "TFTP address" ie set it to 0.0.0.0 That is if you can get into the updatepage of the phone by browsing to its IP address and having the password for it.

You can then update a few times a year (put in the TFTP address), if you think you would gain anything doing this.

My dead phone reacts exactly as yours. Sounds as dead as mine.

Reply to
Christen Fihl

ok, where can I find the manual of grandstream? and, if I put then the IP address, in ho may seconds decide the phone to make the upgrade? I still don't understand, becouse, I used the phone 2 days... and today happened all this.

bye and thanks

Reply to
vopa

in the manual I have found in the website is not clear in how many seconds this update will start automatically.

That's all, have you got an idea how to do a safe upgrade? and where to read the upgrade benefits? the ring tones with the ring tone tools are interesting, how many ring tone have the grandstream becouse I had the time to use only the default ring...

thanks

Reply to
vopa

Grandstream will always check its TFTP server to look for new updates. Only way to disable is to remove TFTP address. Safe update is best to do on a local network with own TFTP server, to make interruptions minimal, or else :(

My VoIP supplier had there own TFTP server, and toll users which version had which features. You still had to accept latest version or disable the feature. Grandstream has a firmware page on

formatting link
Manual:
formatting link
see page

25 on TFTP updates for this:
Reply to
Christen Fihl

Sorry for butting in but you seem to be missing the question, how often does the phone look for the server?

Reply to
George Dishman

Very simple logic used

If TFTP server found, and a better version found on server, then download and install.

No delays, no trigger, nothing else

If you have your own TFTP server (like SolarWinds server

formatting link
you could just start the server program on your own computer, whenever you want to upgrade.

Reply to
Christen Fihl

If it's the same as my Grandstream ATA-486 adaptor, it checks the TFTP server *only* on power-up. So you would need to cycle the power, if it finds a new edition of the firmware it will download and install it.

See above.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

If I delete the ip server for the TFTP of Iconnecthere.com and then I download the firmware in that page, can I simply upload it from the configuration web page? Is it possible or I should do it via tftp adding the IP server?

And still I don't understand: if I add the Ip server where tftp when the phone will decide to download the firmware becouse this is not clear to me, if there is any command for initiate it, it when decide to do? after 24 hours? or what?

thank you

Reply to
vopa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.