X-Lite quality problems

I'm using X-Lite together with Sipgate for calls to landlines. On the whole it's usable but I have problems with brief interruptions in the audio at times, particularly when both parties speak simultaneously.

It's almost as if it was a half-duplex connection rather than a full-duplex connection. Or as if the software is muting the microphone when the other side is speaking. Maybe it is, I haven't managed to find any settings that look like they could change that though.

I'm running windows XP with latest updates behind a firewall with all necessary ports opened, and a have a 5Mb/s down 500Kb/s up DSL line which otherwise performs well. I've used the X-Lite software on two different computers with similar results. I also have a new USB headset where interestingly the problem is much worse than the old analogue headset.

Does anyone have a tip where I should look to solve this problem? Or would it be better with a hardware VoIP phone? I hesitate to splash out on one without being sure of this.

Can anyone advise me what I could try?

many thanks, David

Reply to
david_ffm
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, I don't know why google sometimes refuses to accept my real name! David Johnstone

Reply to
David Johnstone

Hi

1. Is the USB handset a "quality" one or just a cheapish one.
  2. Is the soundcound full duplex?
  3. Is the NIC full duplex and is it and the network running full duplex.
  4. Get a packet sniffer and look at whats going on.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Can't help with that, but a hardware ATA or phone is always better IMHO.

I use the Sipura SPA-2000 which has 2 analogue phone ports.

formatting link
for info if you're interested.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Go to Xlite MENU and make sure that Transmit Silence=YES

Costa.

MENU V Advance System Settings V Audio Settings V Silence Settings V Transmit Silence Y YES

Reply to
Costa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.