2.4 cordless phone and 2.4g network

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:49:19 GMT, steve spoketh

Well, the DSS phone should not interfere, the only way to know for sure is to test it ...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen
Loading thread data ...

My panasonic is DSS, and I have no observable problems.

Reply to
Dave VanHorn

just set up a wireless network runs great, just started voip, and i need a expandable phone system. was given a att 2.4 dss system with 3 handset, great. everything works. maybe

will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g phone system?

m
Reply to
steve

yes it is a dss, is that the key?

Reply to
steve

There may be some speed degradation, or retransmissions, during phone use, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints about this.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

In a word, yes. I have an 802.11g router and a 2.4g cordless phone. If I'm sitting at my laptop and I start talking on my coordless phone, BLAMMO, I lose my wireless network connection. There's little you can do about this. Because it's spread spectrum (802.11) switching the channel will be of little help, although you should try experimenting. But there's a double whammy with that: your cordless phone often switches channels too, and automatically. The next time you talk on it, it may have decided that the place you set your router is the best frequency range and so you just spend your time chasing rainbows. Believe it or not, a number of people I know have actually kept their old cheap 900 mhz cordless phones and they have no trouble whatsoever.

Paul

Reply to
Pablo

FHSS phones will hose up your wireless. DSS won't.

Reply to
Dave VanHorn

I'd say you did get lucky. Dave Van Horn above, replied that DSS phones won't interfere, so it's possible you have an FHSS phone. Frankly, all I know is I have a Uniden 2.4gig cordless. My 802.11g signal is good all the way throughout the house, but if someone gets on that phone and stands between the router and me, let alone I talk on the phone while sitting at the laptop, it's all gone. And with my house, being anywhere in the house is being between my router and me. I have a three story (with basement) house, and the router (linksys wrt54g) sits in the basement, so the signal goes up vertically through all the floors nicely. But if I'm upstairs and someone's on the first floor, I'm dead.

Paul

Reply to
Pablo

< SNIPPED >

Unlike others, I have yet to experience any conflicts between my wireless G products and my 2.4GHz cordless phone. I am on the internet several hours a day and Often, I talk on my cordless phone while surfing the 'net using my wireless enabled notebook pc on my lap. Lucky me, huh?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:08:57 GMT, steve spoketh

Yes, that is pretty much the solution.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:27:46 GMT, Doug Jamal spoketh

I have a VTech 2651, which is a 2.4GHz DSS phone, and it does not interfere with my wireless network...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Bummer! How do you plan on resolving your issue? Will you try a different brand cordless phone? My cordless phone is a GE 2.4GHz (model

2108GE2-A).
Reply to
Doug Jamal

A phone will use one or the other system. Not both.

Mine said it was DSS on the box. If in doubt, bring a receiver, and see if you see carrier bursts. If so, it's hopping. An Icom IC-R3 is really handy for this.

Reply to
Dave VanHorn

I'm in need of a new phone, best for here would be one with a separate remote charger/handset. I dunno 2.4gHz telephony - read that many 2.4 DSS phones use FHSS for added security. How do we read the box or otherwise determine which DSS phones don't use frequency hopping ?

Reply to
bumtracks

Actually, I hate to sound defeatist, but I don't intend on solving it. If I were running a home business and needed constant connectivity through wind, rain and snow, I'd probably do something about it. But we use the laptop as a mobile web/browser, email device, mp3 ripper and we have an old fashioned wired desktop system that's the real workhorse. If someone gets on the phone, we wait until they're off. If it's real important that the laptop continue to work, we call that person back on one of our cell phones. Eventually we'll probably buy a 5.8ghz phone, and just get off the 2.4g band altogether.

Paul

Reply to
Pablo

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

We don't own one. And we don't intend on buying a new cordless at the moment. Like I said, no real rush to fix the problem, it's what you would call a workable problem. And again, if I were going to go out any buy a new cordless, I'd probably go buy one of the new 5.8ghz.

Paul

Reply to
Pablo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.