how do i ( economically...) create interference in MY house to block neighbors' wifi signals...

I need a cheap , effective device to block the signals coming from my neighbors' wifi connection that are invading my house! My child is using this signal overlap to serve up the internet to his play station portable device and i suspect accessing sites that are not appropriate for him/her!! the neighbor won't bother with encryption, so what can i do that's stealth so my child won't even suspect i have done anything... just no more free internet wireless signal from the neighbor. Tada!! i couldnot find anything on ebay except one jammer instrument for 369.00 plus shipping. i have some "walkie talkies" on hand. can they be used for this ??? steve email is snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

In short, you can't. Use corporal punishment for the child instead.

You *could* perhaps setup another router, using the same SSID as the neighbors, in the room immediately adjacent to the child's room. Most game consoles only go by the SSID name with the strongest signal. Turn on the router and leave it connected to nothing. Granted, this may also cause some headaches for the neighbor.

Personally I'm of the opinion it's better to use non-technology driven solutions to parenting problems. But hey, feel free to be as lazy as you like, someone's gotta raise the next generation of fry cooks, right?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Since your neighbor did not encrypt and probably not change the password to his router, I suggest that you access his router and turn off the SSID broadcast.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Werner

I agree with Bill K. You're probably not going to win any technology war with your kid, at least eventually, so you're probably better off getting back to basic parenting, and set and enforce some rules

Reply to
RBM

Wrap your house in house in aluminum foil.

Seriously, I'm with the others on this. It can't be "won" with any technology. Your child will just find another open AP -- and they are everywhere.

The answer must be in parenting. (I'm not saying you are a bad one!)

Nor, can I say what the 'parenting answer' is -- since I'm not one yet. (Well, at least nobody has told me that I am. LOL)

Reply to
Eric

I wouldn't play with anyone's hardware "just because you can" or even to be "helpful", but thats a moral thing and not really relevant.

...but, even so, this wouldn't do any good. AP's with their broadcast disabled still appear on the Sony PSP. The SSID shows up blank, but you can still see the AP by it's channel and encryption type. I have a Sony PSP and, while in my backyard, I can see a neighbor's AP even though their SSID broadcast is disabled...

Reply to
Eric

First, it is illegal to jam someone's signal. (Even if it is for a "good" cause.) Have you talked to your neighbor? If they are ameanable, then have them encrypt the signal. If they don't want to encrypt it, then a lot of wireless access points have the ability to exclude or only include NIC cards. Find out what your Son's is and have the neighbor exclude it. (MAC address) You also might point out to the neighbor that child p*rn could be downloaded from his open system and he could be brought up on charges should that happen, or even downloaded music and movies can cause him legal ills. He also would have no defense, since you would have to testify that he was informed of the issue. Heck, he might even simply shut off the unit when he is not using it.

The other thing is go to your Son's computer and remove the wireless card. Wire him into your home network.

Reply to
Richard Johnson

I do seem to recall someone selling a type of wall paint that would block radio signals. I'm guessing it's not cheap.

No, me neither. It's certainly a lot of work. But it does need doing, and doing right.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Seriously, yes foil. My thoughts right away are to shield with metal. Is your son's device always in one place?

That would make it easier the smaller the area you have to block off.

Just get some metal between it and the neighbor. How to do surreptiously is the trick. Foil glued to cardboard behind the bookshelf it's on, sheet metal, metal roof panel(s) propped against the outside wall..... metallic wall paper (has shiny designs)......

Cheers, Steve L

Reply to
seaweedsteve

"Steve" hath wroth:

Wi-Fi wallpaper. |

formatting link
|
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

And windows might be a problem - esp if they open, so a gold foil coating doesnt block them.

Hitting the PSP with a hammer hard enough will stop the problem - but the side effects might be an issue....

>
Reply to
stephen

Have you actually discussesd this with the neighbor? I find it hard to beleive that a neighbor wouldn't be willing to help you out here. Now there may be an issue of not really knowing how to set things up properly, you could offer to help and teach.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

On 10 Oct 2006 14:14:54 -0700, "Steve" wrote in :

Make it a rule not to use wireless. Discuss the reason for the rule with your child and get buy in. Take away the PlayStation Portable if the rule gets broken.

Is that your idea of good parenting?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.