2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..?

Anyone know how to set up two Sipgate accounts behind a single router..? I currently have a Grandstream ATA-486 running behind a Netgear DM602 modem/router and I'd like to add a second account. Initially I'd like to get this working on X-Lite, but if I can do this ok I'd maybe invest in either a second ATA-486 or a 2-port device such as one of the Sipura range.

Can anyone advise me of the correct settings to allow X-Lite to function in this way..? I tried the default settings but it wouldn't log on and although I can originate calls from the second account it won't respond to incoming calls (returns busy tone) and shows as offline on the Sipgate site.

I have emailed Sipgate but while waiting for a response I thought I'd ask here.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones
Loading thread data ...

Sipgate state somewhere that they don't support it.

As I can figure out, both 'lines' come via the same port and there is no way to program the router to which phone (IP) to forward the call. Draytek 2600V routers have two VoIP ports, but AFAIK at the moment they can't handle two 'lines', although Draytek is hinting it will be possible with a later firmware. Not sure just how they propose to do it. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

So what does the other port do on the Draytek? Dave..

Reply to
Dave

BT-101: How do I configure two or more SIP terminals in a network? (Content Overview: )

In order to allow two SIP terminals on a network to operate behind one router, you must make the following configuration changes.

Configuration of the IP devices Reconfigure the DHCP mode and assign a static IP address to both devices.

Call the IP address of a device in the browser.

The devices are pre-configured on the following ports:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5060

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5004

Make the following changes on one of your SIP devices:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5061

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5005

Click on "Update" in order to make the changes take effect.

Configuring the router Adjust the router to forward ports 5061 and 5005 to the IP of the equipment, in the configurations menu in which you made the changes! i.e.-Your router.

If you want to use more than two IP devices in a network, using one router, proceed as described above, but number those ports sequentially in the configuration menu of the device.

Configure these ports to route traffic the same way. For a third IP device for example:

a.. Listen SIP Port: 5062

a.. Listen RTP Port: 5006

begin 666 trans.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Julian Thornhill

When I was having problems with the ATA-486 displaying the CLI (still an only found 1 phone which will display the CLI: BT Synergy DECT), I checked the use random port on the ATA config (rather than the default 5060, 5004) - it still worked, as the use random port option is for your exact case maybe you could give it a go!

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

The cisco ATA 186 can do this, mine does do this :)

and the two numbers are very similer :)

Reply to
sean

As I said, I'm using a Netgear DM602 modem/router (single port, connected to external hub) and it works fine with my Grandstream ATA-486. Don't want to spend more money on something like the Sipura until I *know* it's going to work..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I found that my tatty old Siemens-built BT Dect displays CLI fine, but needs a ring capacitor to make it ring, while my newer Sagem-built BT Dect won't display CLI but doesn't need the ring capacitor...

Fortunately Sipgate supplied an adapter with a ring capacitor with the ATA-486.

Reply to
Dave Gill

I never got one of those, I had to get one from Maplins..!

BTW re. the original post, I finally got it working, by fiddling with the port numbers on X-Lite and in the router, but succeeded in locking up both the router and the ATA-486..!

Methinks this project requires some more thought..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Yes, you can easily forward ports 5060 & 5004 to one VoIP phone and ports

5061 & 5005 to another, but then you presumably need to get the service providers VoIP server to 'call you' on the alternative ports ? Regards, Martin
Reply to
Martin²

Dave:

AFAIK you can plug in two analog phones, but both use the same 'line' / number. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

BTW (Ivor) - I know that your CLI worked with a Binatone?, do you have a list of model numbers of the phones which you've used and the CLI has worked with the ATA-486 - I'll also go to maplins and get a new BT-to-RJ11 adaptor incase my current one isn't working?

thanks in advance Jon

Reply to
Jonty Pearson

p.s. The sipagte website has been updated sometime in the past month - your original post is covered in the help section of the ATA-486 - section 6

Jon

Reply to
Jonty Pearson

If your router can honestly only forward ports to one internal device, the answer is to get a new router. Can it only forward ports to devices attached to the physical DMZ port? Can there be more than one device connected there via a hub?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Well my second ATA-486 arrived today and I configured it to use ports 5005 and 5061 as per the instructions on the Sipgate website, but no joy. Tried calling my other Sipgate number and got no transmitted audio in either direction.

Spent half an hour on the phone to Sipgate but even the extremely helpful guy there was unable to assist, we tried everything we could think of but no luck.

I *think* it's down to the fact that my existing ATA-486 seems to require the DMZ of the router to be set to its IP address, obviously I can't set the DMZ to more than one address.

So it looks like my plan for 2 Sipgate numbers has gone pear-shaped :-( Sipgate say I can return the 486 for a refund, but I might try seeing if a friend who I know is currently using X-Lite is interested, either way I won't lose out financially.

Thought I'd report my findings here, if anyone else has *successfully* got two Grandstream ATA-486 units to work behind a single router, *please* let me know how you did it..!!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Ivor Jones wrote: [...]

[...]

Specify the (different, unique) ports that the ATAs are set to use and use "port forwarding" across to your DMZ.

Good luck, Martin

Reply to
Martin 53N 1W

Sorry, I don't understand. My router has an address of 192.168.1.1 and the PC's are 192.168.1.10 etc. The existing (working) ATA-486 is set to

192.168.1.16 and I set the new one to 192.168.1.17.

The ports used by the existing ATA are the defaults of 5004 and 5060, the new one is set to 5005 and 5061 as per Sipgate's instructions. The port forwarding in the router is set to forward the ports to the correct devices.

The router only has one port for a DMZ, this is set to 192.168.1.16 the address of the working ATA.

What else, if anything, do I need to do..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

You should be able to have more than one IP address in your DMZ. If not, then use DMZ and DMZ2!?

What you want is port forwarding such that:

wanIP:5004 192.168.1.16:5004 wanIP:5060 192.168.1.16:5060 wanIP:5004 192.168.1.17:5005 wanIP:5060 192.168.1.17:5061

If your router can't support that, then you need another router or you should set up your own Asterisk server...

Good luck, Martin

Reply to
Martin 53N 1W
[snip]

The router is a Netgear DM602 modem with inbuilt router and single Ethernet port, this is connected to a hub to which the PC's and ATA's are connected. In the config it is only possible to set one IP address as a DMZ. I have never heard of DMZ2..?! I don't see any way of adding port numbers to the end of IP addresses.

I don't want anything that requires a PC to be on all the time. Maybe one of the Sipura devices that has 2 phone sockets..? Could one of these be configured to do what I want..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

On some devices you can call the zones anything you like!

I've not used your modem. The settings might be hidden under the heading "RDR" or redirect or similar.

Check out a dedicated firewall-router. Or run linux with a diskless PC. There are single floppy firewall distros that will run on /really old/ PCs...

Good luck, Martin

Reply to
Martin 53N 1W

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.