How to make landline call to another landline then out call long distance?

You could get the free Asterisk IP PBX with two FXO ports to connect to two phone lines coming into your home. Configure it so that you can dial in on one line and then dial out long distance on the other using an access code.

I'm not even sure that's possible but it sounds like a good idea. :) I'm sure someone with more experience than I have (that wouldn't be too difficult) will have a few better ideas.

The is another nice benefit to my idea if you have this IP PBX connected to the Internet. If you are at another site that has high-speed Internet access you could dial into your home PBX using a softphone via IP instead of using a landline. That would be especially useful if you were out of town and needed to make a long distance call. Regards, John

Reply to
jneiberger
Loading thread data ...

It's known as a call bridge.

If your home office phone has three-way calling, check out the Ultimate Call Handler at

formatting link
You call in, punch in a security code and the number to call, it does a hook flash, calls the number, then flashes again to connect the two calls.

That's the good news. The bad news is that it costs $190, which is a fair price for such a complex piece of equipment, but for the same price you could also buy 45 hours of calls on a typical 7 cpm calling card. If it were up to me, I'd get the calling card and use my phone when I was in the office.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Maybe this isn't viable.

I would like to make a landline call to my home office that somehow once connected dial out long distance from my home office landline. Since, I have Unlimited domestic calling in US from my home office, it would be nice when I'm out at a local clients resident to make a call to my home and then call with from my home office number landline which us toll free.

I hope I explained it correctly for you to understand what I am trying to think of doing.

How can this be done?

Thanks, jt

Reply to
jt

"Three-way calling" is a feature of CallVantage VoIP service at a flat rate of $29/month, including long distance. It might not work as the OP wanted because it must be done manually from the home.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

It oughta work. The Sandman box plugs in like a phone and does what a person would do to set up a three way call.

Reply to
John R. Levine

I second that, though I would have it setup to be all over IP, without the need for any FXO/FXS ports. IOW, you can "lease" a virtual number from any of the gazillion VOIP providers in the market today and have it terminate to your Asterisk box over IP. Once connected, you could configure asterisk to dial the outbound number using the "unlimited domestic calling plan" that you have and bridge the two calls together.

Just make sure you have a reasonable authentication/authorization scheme in place so you don't turn yourself into a free-for-all CLEC.

Now slap some billing hooks into the mix and you've got yourself a homegrown calling card solution! That said, you could just buy a calling card from me and avoid all the hassle (c;

formatting link
Cheers,

-- Ankur

Reply to
Ankur Shah

This is not exactly what you asked but (if you do not have call waiting or similar) you could use PC anywhere or other program to connect, from your clients computer (which supposedly is connected to the internet through a fast connection), to your computer which in turn has a voice modem connected to the landline.

IW

Reply to
Inco Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.