Trouble with Startalk Flash on a CICS

Hello,

I've run in to a problem with a Startalk Flash that's connected to a Compact ICS phone system. It appears to have only 2 extensions physically connected to it, but the main cartridge is marked "4" and I have been told that means that it is a 4 port unit. The feature cartridge is V1.9. In any case, when power is lost the voice mail will still answer calls and messages can be left in mailboxes, but Feature 981, which is open mail box, comes up as an inactive feature. This prevents users from retrieving their messages.

I tried powering the unit down and in the process lost some of the other related feature codes (98x) as well. Eventually, after several power downs, it all came back. I'm trying to figure out exactly what's going on here. I'd have to say that the CICS is okay because it's retaining its programming. The Startalk seems to be where the fault lies.

This is the second time that this has happened. Unfortunately, the first time, the UPS that all of the equipment is connected to failed due to outdated batteries. In light of that, the UPS has been replaced.

Does anyone in the group have any ideas as to why this is happening or what to do to prevent it in the future? Am I doing something wrong or possibly not doing something that I should?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis
Loading thread data ...

The unit derives two voice channels from each system port attached to it.(ISDN technology is involved here ) Although markings on the unit are for

4 port, it is only four port if the expansion cartridge and the right PCMIA card is plugged in. Check by calling each extension plugged in to it. It receives calls when the CICS is powered down ? That does not make sense.

TerryS

Reply to
TerryS

Terry,

Sorry, for not being clear. That should have been 'once power is restored after a power failure.'

As for the two extensions connected to the Flash, I've been able to identify them by plugging in a system phone, so, at that point, I'm certain that they are live. It appears that the Flash isn't allowing access to portions of it, namely, opening up a mail box via F981. However, outside calls still get answered. I'm not certain if any 'new' messages are being left at that time. I wouldn't think so, seeing as how at least one or more of the Feature codes become inactive.

Thanks for your reply.

Peter.

programming.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Peter,

I am not sure why the Flash is not responding to F981, it sounds as if the unit itself maintained its configuration, so it may actually be the CICS that has the problem. Have you tried power-cycling the CICS again?

I also seem to remember that the CICS would sometimes assign the F900 range to a Flash instead of the F980 range, try doing a F900-F905 to see if the system reports "invalid function".

Darryl

------------------------------------- Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 1939 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
dakegg

THere is a huge community of people, docs, downloads and applications

at the Nortel Portal.

Good Luck

Reply to
3z3k3l

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.