Feature Group B CICs and CACs prior to expansion [telecom]

formatting link
I noticed this paper, which includes a short history of Carrier Identification Code assignments.

CICs identify a carrier. The Carrier Access Code, the actual dialing sequence used by the calling party, incorporates the CIC.

Prior to April, 1993, CICs were assigned for Fg.B and Fg.D access from the same pool. Fg.B CIC codes expanded to 4 digits at that time. I was trying to remember the Fg.B CAC prior to expansion. I thought it was 950-0XXX where X is any digit 0-9. With expansion, 0 was prepended to CIC.

However, checking the NANPA list, there are also 1XXX CICs, suggesting that some three-digit CICs had 1 prepended. Prior to expansion, was the CAC also

950-1XXX for certain carriers?

I found a note that 9000 possible CICs can be assigned in Fg.B because switches cannot distinguish between 950-0XXX and 950-1XXX. Can someone explain the conflict?

With Fg.B CIC expansion, 5XXX range was opened. 6XXX range will be opened next, but this range hasn't yet been opened. Then it goes to 2XXX.

In April, 1995, Fg.D codes were expanded to four digits. "0" was prepended to existing codes, and the CAC changed from 10XXX to 101XXXX. I found a note that Fg.B CICs as 4 digits could be reserved for Fg.D assignment after code expansion.

CICs were first assigned in 1981. They were two digits. Were these used for anything more than intercarrier billing and settlements? Were there CACs at the time from any exchange?

CICs expanded to three digits in 1983. Was "0" prepended to existing CICs?

Where and when were CACs first dialable as either Fg.B or Fg.D?

How many 950 prefixes were assigned before its use as Fg.B CAC?

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

MCI's was 950-1022. I guess they just chopped off the last digit of 10222 rather than the first.

I recall at least a couple of 950- numbers were assigned that were not for LD carriers at all, but just for certain nationwide businesses with lots of stores to have the same number everywhere. I suspect that they invented a private IXC for the purpose. (A bank and a pizza place, IIRC.)

Reply to
John David Galt

In John David Galt writes: [snip]

I don't know what happened behind the curtain, but the phone number used by the "credit card dial up machines" used for Medicaid in the NYC region in (roughly) 1990 was a "950" line.

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.