PBX extensions 6 miles away?

We want to install extensions off a PBX in a building 6 miles away. Is this something we can do with "dry pairs" from the LEC?

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

Why not consider some of the VoIP gateways around? Simple to set up and pretty economical for just a few extensions.

I use this one a lot and it works well:

formatting link
Yes, by the way I am connected with Intel :) I don't make any cash of this (I support them) but they do work very good.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

Most PBX's have limits on how far away a phone can be from the switch without amplification. I don't recall seeing any where the distance is over about 1200'

You're probably going to have to go with VoIP, a T1 or something like that.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Thanks for the suggestion. If it helps, this is a Nortel Meridian, and the two buildings in question are on the same (very large) piece of property. The two buildings are six miles apart "as the crow flies."

Even if we were to ditch a cable in a straight line, that would still be over

30,000 feet.

It looks like if we can get any POTS line in the distant building with DSL for Internet, the Intel suggestion (PIMG80DNIV4 Emulating) could do the trick over the Internet for about $5,000. Does that sound about right?

Reply to
Someone

I bet you can find the analog PIMGs for less than 2000 at a distributor.

The rest of the cost will then depend on the SIP phones (yes, I recommend SIP because I like it but you can use H.323 phones as well) you buy.

I am working on a proof of concept in a few days that entails a PIMG connected to an Avaya G3 running 8 SIP based 802.11b wireless phones. Should be sweet.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

At 36K feet, you'll have huge problems without an engineered line. Try

formatting link
Since you have a magic phone system (Nortel), you can get the Extender 6000 or 7000 box on a T1, Frame Relay or ISDN line and get voice and data on the same circuit. Pop it in and hang system phones on the stations and you're done.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Analog extensions MAY be able to work (but it is iffy at 6 miles)...but not digital...What kind of switch do you have? You may be able to put in a remote shelf depending on the brand...

Reply to
CWB

Install a remote shelf off the M1....then you can run as many digital phones as you need...You would have to run a T1 or fiber between the shelves but dont need to go to the Telco....with a dedicated shielded cable, you should be able to run your own T1 line and not have to put a rptr in. OR you can run VOIP from the M1...but the remote shelf would be better in the long run

Reply to
CWB

Six miles -- 32,000 feet -- is way, way out of spec for a T1 without repeaters. Even HDSL at T1 speeds requires repeaters every 12-15K feet.

There might be some fancy modulation that can do T1 or better speeds over really long pairs, but six miles is not realistic as far as I know.

Reply to
Thor Lancelot Simon

Have you considered a wireless link? I have installed a RAD wireless link with 4 T1's for about $5,000.

Rik Rasmussen

Reply to
Rik

It is way, WAY out.

The original spec says 655 feet for ABAM signalling (the "host" interface for T1) and 5-6000 feet for ALBO (the "wire" interface); depending on wire gauge.

You can chain 5-6 repeaters that are line-powered, but distances between them go down. Obtaining 30.000 feet unrepeatered is a severe challenge.

HDSL spec says 12k feet (this is E1/T1 implemented using DSL technology on two wire pairs), SHDSL says 11k feet (this is T1/E1 DSL using a single pair), ADSL says 18k feet, but this spec is not firm on what speeds are obtainable.

The best option would be HDSL, but 30k feet is still unrealistic for a T1. Some equipment do allow slower speeds, and I have had lots of experience getting 3-6 timeslots through (200-400 kilobit) on _really_ long lines, like the one you are referring to.

At 32k feet / 10k meters you are out of range for "simple" fiber line drivers as well. You need real lasers; at a Real Telco PPOE we had 7km as a limit for "simple" fiber loops using cheap line drivers.

I would seriously consider IP telephony for the satellite site.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

I agree with everyone that has contributed here. VoIP is your best bet. I have installed many Mitel 3300's as "gateways" which I have connected to legacy PBX's using a standard E1 link.

This will future proof your investment by being able to migrate to IP when and where it suits you.

Reply to
Gavin

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.