Need to move/relocate a demarc and NIU

Our office building is located in an industrial/urban area and when our phone service was first installed (probably 15 years ago), the demarc was installed on the outside of the building. About five years ago, when a T1 for internet was installed, they also placed the NIU outside, just above the demarc. When that was installed, Ethernet cable was run from the demarc up to the NIU and from the NIU back down the side of the building and into a conduit box (so that it could be run over to the wiring closet). Over the years, we've added several phone lines, they also just ran phone cable right out of the demarc down the side of the building and into the conduit box.

My primary concern is that all of our phone lines and T1 internet circuit is exposed to the elements. Bare Ethernet cable and phone lines are simply run alongside the building, which also has be concerned about security (someone could simply walk up and cut all of the phone lines and Internet circuit). Further more, when it rains, we have terrible problems with our phone lines (noise, dropped lines, etc).

I recently contacted the local telecom company (Qwest) who, after two weeks of me begging, sent an engineering to come out and assess the situation. I spoke with the Engineer and requested that the demarc and NIU get moved 40 feet due West, inside the building and in to our wiring closet. I was just provided the cost just yesterday, over $2,000.

Needless to say, I about choked. The cost was for labor, a new demarc, and a new NIU. Obviously this is a huge concern, so I think I could make a case to management to spend the money, but I was wondering if it would be possible to try to get Qwest to cover any of the cost due to:

1) Problems on the lines due to weather 2) The mess that was made of the whole thing when it was installed (especially the T1 circuit) 3) Security concerns due to exposed wire

Additionally, I'm not sure where the line of responsibility is drawn. Should I have to pay for a new demarc, or is that property of Qwest? What about the NIU?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
KyleAK
Loading thread data ...

Hmm, thats fairly cheap, must not be too big of a job.

Probably not. They're the phone company, they don't have to care. Its not really their responsibility, they just provide the service, they haven't owned the wire for sometime.

The demarc is the property of the building owner. When buildings are built, they pay to put the communication lines in, demarc built, etc. The NIU status is a bit more iffy. It should remain property of the LEC, but usually, they don't care too much. Its not like they reuse the cabinets much. They might take them back for the guts to be used as repair items lateron somewhere else.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

*have* you been having problems that are traceable to wiring on the _telco_ side of the demarc? or is this just a 'theoretical' issue?

Heck, have you had problems traceable to the exposed wiring on _your_ side of the demarc?

In other words, have either _your_company_ *or* the telco had any maintenance costs associated with the wiring being 'outside, and exposed to the elements'?

If QWEST hasn't had any such costs, why would they spend money to move things 'inside'? Obviously it's not necessary.

_That_ dog doesn't hunt.

Nothin' in the telco tariffs says they have to be 'neat' -- 'mess' is legally allowed.

What does the _telco_ care if somebody sabotages *your* wiring? *YOU* have to pay to get it fixed, not them. if it's on your side of the demarc.

The existing ones are perfectly good, functional, and operating to telco specifications.

*YOU* want the installation moved, which necessitates the new hardware. Therefore _you_ pay for the cost of the new hardware. Even though the telco *still* owns it.

If the telco moves things for _their_ convenience, they pay for it. If the telco moves things for _YOUR_ convenience, YOU pay for it.

Pay it! it's cheap enough.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Thanks for the understanding. I did some research and did find that our demarc is 15 years old and has been leaking water (the demarc is not flat up against the building, so water is coming in through some holes on the back). So it is my best guess that is our responsibility, since it is on "our" side of the demarc. I'm still trying to figure out how leaves and other "environmental objects" got inside the demarc.

I cannot believe what a mess this whole issue has turned in to. I'm just trying to convince the building owners that it is worth the $2,000 to have the demarc moved.

Thanks again.

Reply to
KyleAK

For this type of work, $2K is bloody cheap, believe it or not. Besides, whomever pays for it can just write it off as a business expense come tax time, so either way, you get your ROI.

Reply to
Syd Barrett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.