router problem

Hi I am facing a problem with my 1720 router

My remote router pings till i open a web site. the moment i open a web site on my far it stops pinging.

There are lot of input and CRC errors in sh int s0 output.

i connected both the router with help of CSU/DSU (Modems) one in master

mode and one in slave mode but problem still continued. Media was totally by passed. Any one can tell me where is the fault in the router

or modems. Router is WIC 2 AS smart serial. Modem type is Multitech AM

100 and company owned.

Please advise on priority.

Reply to
Rats
Loading thread data ...

Can you please elaborate on the design of this? Are you running DDR (Dial Demand Routing aka dial on demand), or does the Multitech do the DDR for you?

Do you have NAT/PAT enabled?

Simply describing the network design a bit more detailed would really help, as of right now there is not enough information to make any sort of judgement as to whats going on.

Ryan

Reply to
rdymek

"Rats"

You may also consider the T1 comming in from the phone co. I have seen some strange things with T1's. At the remote site can you find the NIU? If so are all the lights green or are any amber or red? Most NIU's at least will have LED's that say "L1" and "L2" and depending on the make and model will have other LED's. When I used to help maintain a large MAN one of the first places I looked was the NIU's. This will tell you if at least the point-to-point physical link is OK. The L1 and L2 should NEVER be anything but green - they show the status of the LOOP's between your demarcation point and the phone co. A yellow, red or no light means the problem is something outside of your office and is the responsibility of the phone company to fix. If it has an LED labeled DS1 and that is not green then the problem is inside your building - probably bad wiring or a bad or wrongly configured CSU/DSU. Our plan of attack was always to start with layer 1 and work your way up - it seemed to be the quickest way to find and fix issues we had with new installs or existing ones. The phone co. always tried to scare us with the threat of an expensive charge if the problem was not there fault but using things like knowledge of T1's and "head-to-head" tests with T1 testers like with 2 TBERD's we were able to prove to them the problem was with them. You might also check the SH INT S0 to see if you have any errors like CRC errors or any of the others. From the remote site, clear all counters, check them after a few minutes and see if they increase, then hit a web site. Note the error counters that jump up drastically. This will help to point you to where to look. Most often CRC errors are due to, but not allways, something on the telco side of things or internal wiring. CRC are often layer 1 errors. Here in Arizona we most often see CRC and framing errors, usually during the summer when the temp. can reach 110 to 115 and the heat would fry the "doublers" that the telco. would use to extend the T1's. No more then 2 doublers max. If you can connect to and log into the NIU then it will give you a nice overview of the T1 circuit including how many doublers are in your loop, the db of each leg of the circuit (should be less then 3 db diff. between each parallel leg of the loop and in the low

20's), clock rate (should be no more then -/+10 of 1.544). Also, some doublers will show an X on the leg that has a problem. If your not getting your T1 form the local telco. then you may have larger issues since all third parties have to lease the physical T1 from the local telco and now you have to point fingers to, and prove which one (owner of the physical cable - local telco. or leaser AT&T or others is responsible). Saving a few dollars up front does sometimes have HIGH costs. Note, it is not legal to log into the NIU, that would be trespassing in telco. space and you could get a fine for doing so - I'm not advocating that. Butt, if you do know the info. that the NIU shows then that would help to prove that the problem is in the telco. side of the circuit. I guess I just know this from looking over the sholder of the many telco. techs that I have called to look at our circuits over the years. Anyway, the problem could be in configuration of the router and I may be way off. Does the router work fine in a lab connected with a T1 x-over cable (1,2 - 4,5 swaped)? If so then they should work fine in the field! Just a thought. Let us know if you get it all worked out and what the fix was.

Chris wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
clubfoot

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.