Laptop troubles

Almost 2 years to the date my current laptop is dying. Being chea^h^h^h^h frugal, I'm serioulsy looking at an Acer Aspire with Bluetooth, Wireless, Wired and 1G memory and 120G HD for $600.00.

It has Vista something equivalent to XP Media Center.

It's a cheap computer which usually means fragile, but I can't afford a Toughbook. I'm serioulsy considering springing the $129 for a 2 year warranty AFTER the 1 year Manufacturer's warranty. That would be unusual, because I can't ever remember keeping any laptop for 3 years and I've used one for 20 years.

Since all of my manuals are on CD and all the new phone systems require PC's, what do you guys all use? Any happy stories, or is it just keep putting aside $30 a month for technology maintenance and grab another laptop two years down the road?

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro
Loading thread data ...

I used a Dell, but I bought it used. It was a couple years old so it wasn't at the edge of technology or OS, but was still current enough to be usable for several years. And the price was 30% of what a similar new one would have run so that if something did happen to it I wasn't out megabucks.

Even with manufacturers warranty a lot of the problems I've had with laptops wouldn't have been covered. Like the one where it was in my closed up van on a 105 degree day and the screen cracked. Or the one where the pins on the serial connector broke loose from their mounting point and fixing it would have required replacing the mother board.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

I've been using IBM Thinkpads for years, and so far they've been the best I've seen. Not as robust as the panasonics, but enough for most people. You can usually find refurbs for reasonable prices and memory/ batteries/disk/etc are cheap enough.

Then add the cost of installing XP back on it, vista is generally not ready for prime time, and some of your programming apps probably won't run on vista.

z!

Reply to
Carl Zwanzig

I've got a Dell XPX M140 (Which is now the Inspiron 1405 I believe) and it's been pretty good. I've had it for a year but it has all the ports EXCEPT a serial port. A USB-Serial adapter solves that but it does have wireless, wired, modem, IEEE-1394, and USB-2.0 so I can't complain.

Reply to
T

Agreed - the biggest failure points are hard drives, CD/DVD drives, and system fans.

That's the thing about my Dell XPS M140, it's very easy to take apart. Just dropping a couple screws on the bottom of the machine gets you at the wireless card, bluetooth device, RAM, CPU, hard drive and optical drive.

I recently upgraded the RAM in my machine to the 2GB maximum (Prices on Crucial.com keep dropping like a rock!) and even though I had to slide the keyboard out it was easy to do. Two screws and pry up the panel above the keyboard and flip keyboard forward.

Of course I did manage to find all the documentation on doing these things on Dell's service web site.

Reply to
T

Actually Dell is now letting people buy computers with XP instead of Vista. The outcry was so loud that they had to do it.

Friend recently wanted to buy a new laptop and Dell was still pushing Vista so she ended up going to HP and managed to get an XP laptop from them.

Reply to
T

Yes. What a dilemma. For $699 I can own a Dell with a special screen, same specs as the Acer Aspire, and Win XP, with a 12 month on site warranty.

I may have to suck it up and get that deal instead.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Any time you buy a computer you face the same kind of dilemmas - which OS, when is a sale or a 'special offer' truly a special offer, do I want the standard version of a preinstalled software or the 'deluxe.' It's almost as bad as buy a new car.

Good luck.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

True - usually just go for one with bare minimums on it but a good mboard. Memory and hard drives are dirt cheap now.

For example, 2 months ago I priced maxing out my laptop to 2GB, it was a bit over $350. I bought the upgrade a few weeks ago for $143 and now I see it's down to $117.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.