First Ring Supression?

I have a single POTS line in the house.

I have 1 drop going from the demarc to the house phones.

I have a second drop going to a modem attached to a PC, running caller ID software. This software will read CID info, and then take action on the call based upon how I have it configured. If the software blocks the call, I still hear that single ring on the house phones. I don't want to hear that first ring.

I want to *always* suppress the first ring on the drop to the house phones, then subsequent rings can go thru to the house phones. The house phones have no Caller ID functionality, and do not need it.

The drop to the modem and computer will sense ring #1, read CID, then either stop processing and leave the call alone to keep ringing, or pick up the line and play a short message stating the call is blocked, blah blah, whatever - or just pick up and then hang up. The software checks the CID info and does 2 different things: Logs the call and leaves it alone Intercepts/blocks the call before the 2nd ring.

This system is all working great right now - the software is doing exactly what I want it to do. I just have this little annoying issue: if the software ends up handing the call, I still hear that 1st ring on the house phones.

How can I always suppress ring #1 on the drop to the house phones?

Thanks!

Reply to
Kris Jacobs
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

So the modem/software might suppress the first ring?

Reply to
Kris Jacobs

Why not apply for callerid block if you have it in your area? This lets you set up a listing of call id strings that will not be allowed through.

If I remember right the old Microsoft Cordless phone used to do this. You could block a particular call id string and from that point forward it would not even ring the phone when that person called and send them directly to VM.

It only suppressed calls on that device though. If you had other phones connected to the same line they would still ring.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

If you absolutely need to have the first ring suppressed you might want to look into building a little Asterisk based PBX.

formatting link
could start with just the developers kit at
formatting link

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Asterisk, wow cool!

Now THAT is right up my alley! Get what I want on my POTS line, AND get to play with something new on Linux! =)

Thanks!

Reply to
Kris Jacobs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.