Sending a different caller ID

Is this for real? Do they just send an audio signal to mimic the caller ID name/number you wish to send?

formatting link

Reply to
That guy.
Loading thread data ...

If things were simple, yes. However, in this scheme:

1. Most phones have already received the correct CID info after the first ring. Your earliest chance at sending your CID tones are after the person has answered the phone. If they have common sense, they would have already looked at the correct info before answering, and the CID equipment would still have that info stored.
  2. Most modern CID equipment stops listening for CID tones after the called party has picked up, as legitimately there is nothing else to receive. The exception to this is CID-Call waiting, but even if you manage to pull that off, the party you're calling will only be fooled into thinking another call is on the line and when they hookflash, they'll hang up with you.

The software isn't worth $99. Especially when similar software, with the same lack of effectiveness, is only $9 here:

formatting link
Much more effective means to spoof caller ID exists through VoIP:

formatting link

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

It is for real but not for what you think! This software is not for spoofing the CallerID number when you place a call to somebody. It says nothing about spoofing on the web page. It just won't work this way. By the time you get any chance to send anything to your party, it is too late for the CallerID string, the real one has already been received.

What this software does is emulate the CallerID that would have been sent by the CO if it were a real call. You may need this if you are setting up call flows based on CallerID in a PBX. You can also use it to test if Caller ID is working on your equipment.

If you want to spoof CallerID, you should get a T1 with PRI service.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

On a second read: it DOES say it spoofs CAller ID. Rats @#$%! I guess, they are playing the Caller ID stream just as soon as the number is dialed, hoping it will get through. I'm wondering if it is reliable if it does, in fact, work.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

formatting link
Much more effective means to spoof caller ID exists through VoIP:

Is it possible to use VOIP for local calls with no charges?

Reply to
That guy.

Sure it does. It does get through, but only AFTER the call is answered (of course - how can you send anything down the line before the call is picked up, unless you are at the CO switch?). So it will only spoof AFTER the call has been answered. Seen something similar in action - commonly called an "orange box" by phone phreaks. It's weird to see the caller ID info change AFTER you answer the call!

BTW, it seems some CID boxes ignore caller ID data when the phone is off hook, so it only works for SOME (most?) CID boxes.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Depends on what service you use. Most of the major players of course, charge a monthly fee, but the fee does included local calls and often, unlimited long distance with in the US as well.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

That guy. wrote: ....

There is a flat monthly fee at minimum.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

From what I've heard, the way some do it is to send more modem tones after the called end goes off hook, and this forces the CallerID digits out of the display and puts new phony ones into their place. I don't know if that's possible, since I don't have CallerID.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

It would still put the original CLID entry on the box and then your forced entry would show up. It takes advantage of Call Waiting/Caller ID. But not all Caller ID boxes recognize the CW tone.

Reply to
Tony P.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.