2 voice lines in an cat5 env

Should work fine, but the 2-line splitters (RJ-11) I've seen are a loose fit in a RJ-45.

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

Does the following work? I have two phones in room A. I run a cord from Phone 1 and Phone 2 into a 2 line/1 line splitter. I then plug the splitter into a RJ45 patch panel. Cat5 8 wire cables run from that patch panel to a patch panel in Room B. I plug another 2 line/1 line RJ45 splitter into the patch panel, then run normal phone cables from the splitter to two phone outlets. Yes, I know there are better ways to do this, but this seems cheap and I have the parts (making it very cheap.)

Reply to
Coyote Cub

Thanks. Gives me a fighting chance at least.

Reply to
Coyote Cub

The RJ11 plugs will fit in the RJ45 jacks, so will the splitters. The RJ45 pins 3-4-5-6 correspond to the RJ11 pins 1-2-3-4.

Brad Houser

Reply to
Brad Houser

Yep works fine, You can even buy such a splitter for cat5 as well as sharers that let you put one phone and one data connection through one cable and twin data that puts two data down the same cable.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

What I can't find, though it seems to make sense to me, is a splitter that turns the cat5/rj45 into two two voice lines/rj11. I suppose most of the time this is done at the patch panel and I am making a non-standard system.

Reply to
Coyote Cub

And using that info, all you need is an old RJ45 cable and a 2 jack box (real cheap, or you probably have some singles laying around anyway, sticky pad them back to back after wiring) to make a splitter. Wire RJ45 pins 4,5 as L1 and 3,6 as L2. Find a 4 jack box and you can run 4 lines on one RJ45.

Reply to
Bill H

Hi

is this what you want ...

line1------| |-------line 1 |========| line2------| |-------line 2

if it is then yes they do do then I have some in the office. I will look at who make them and let you know if you want. Im in the UK but I got them shipped from the States for use with NMS voice cards

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I need something like that above, but I have it working now, thanks. What I really want is:

line1/2------| |====long cat5 run ====| line3/4------|

The long run has 8 wires I can use to make four voice lines. I just wanted something that could do this without my needing to wire to an outlet.

Thanks to all. Once again the generosity of the Usenet has been a help.

Reply to
Coyote Cub

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.