How do you properly join cat5 wire

I have a cat5 run that goes from a router to a control room. I need to run cat5 from that control room to the location of a single PC. My question is this: How can I join the two cat 5 wires together? Do I have to use a powered switch? I tried using a connector that joins two RJ45 plugs together but it didn't appear that the signal was getting through. It seems like one of those connectors would switch the order of the wires around necessitating a crossover cable. Is that the problem? For testing purposes, I then put a switch at that location and I was able to pull up the Internet at the PC location. I really hate to add another piece of hardware needlessly and would appreciate knowing what the proper way to do this is. I really don't want to physically connect the two wires together permanently in case I need to feed additional PCs from that location in which case I will be forced to use a switch. If the only solution is a switch, is there such a thing as an unpowered switch?

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge about this simple question.

Reply to
David Jensen
Loading thread data ...

There is no such thing as an unpowered switch, but you can power a switch using Power-over-Ethernet adapters (PoE).

If the total run of the cable is under 100 meters, you do not need a switch or hub.

Use an ethernet coupler rated for Cat5, not just an RJ-45 coupler.

Reply to
none

Unless I'm missing something here, try...

CAT5 modular jack > 6" CAT cable > CAT5 modular jack

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

If the total length is less than 90 meter, get three surface mount (i.e. wall mount) RJ45 blocks (Home Depot has them.)

Put two jacks in the contol room. Punch the run from the router into one jack and punch the cable from the new PC into the other. Use a short patch cord to connect the two. Make all connections straight-through.

Put the third jack on the wall next to teh new PC. Terminate it on the cable and use a patch cord to connect to the PC.

This assumes all the cable runs are solid CAT5. If it's stranded then, IMO, the best use for them is to pull new, proper CAT5 cable in the walls.

Reply to
Al Dykes

------------------------------------ Unless I'm reading this wrong, you have RJ45 plugs on the ends of your wires. This is a no-no for more reasons than I can list here, and the question "properly join cat5 wire" is mute.

However, as already mentioned, unless you are having a problem with length (approx. 100 meter limit), assuming you are in fact using plugs on the end of your cable, you should be able to use a cat5 coupler or cat5 crossover coupler. Try here:

formatting link

equipment will be auto-sensing, so you can't go wrong.

If your problem is over-length, then you will need to use a hub or switch, or install fiber. As already mentioned, it is possible to power a switch with POE. A cheap way to do this is with the Dlink POE injectors:

formatting link
and any brand of switch that runs on either 5 volts or 12 volts (the output choices on the Dlink POE injectors).

DJG

------------------------------------

Reply to
google

I think he's simply referring to an 8-pin modular connector as an RJ-45.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

How about a single cable splice block like

formatting link
C

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
JGolan

Why do you call it "non-complient"? It's essentially a very small horizontal cross-connect, which is certainly allowed.

-Larry Jones

Who, ME? Who?! Me?? WHO... Me?! Who, me??? -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Too bad you have to get it from Britain.

CIAO!

Ed N.

snipped-for-privacy@ugs.com wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

You can get them anywhere - just that I'm in the UK and that was the first place I came across them. Try

formatting link

C
Reply to
Chris

Thanks. I just went to Blackbox's US website and didn't find it.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the item from Black Box? Regardless of whether you can find them on the US web site (maybe they don't carry an unshielded version), they are wonderful.

I found these in the US about 3 years ago and bought 2 or 3 and then forgot where I got them. Once they were gone, when I ran across an occasion to extend a cat5 cable, I have used a 110 block to extend the cable. I was under the impression that the only concern with doing this is being sure to add a minimum of 45 feet before and after the "splice".

The biggest problem is this: Who wants a 110 block (or 66 block) above the ceiling? Or for that matter, how much sense does it make to put a

110 block on a wall for one connection?

Great item. I would have recommended it if I knew where to find it. MUCH BETTER solution than putting 8 pin connectors on solid wire and connecting or cross-connecting with a coupler. Just think of the number and quality of connection points in either scenario.

Reply to
google

This thread has gone pretty far considering it is a simple matter to Google Cat 5e couplers.

Try this link

formatting link
and get whatever you need.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Reply to
JGolan

Carl Navarro wrote in part:

No, I think this thread has been _extremely_ short considering it is a question of violating standards. Something that works now vs something that works later.

This is exactly the sort of "gotcha" that emerges in a few years when someone puzzles over why gigabit is slow, and a tech like us spends time finding the hidden splice.

Standards have excellent reason. Violating them can also make sense.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

With no intent to disparage anyones' contributions to the NG, I see the replies as insight from different directions.

There's no argument that sticking a splice up in the ceiling is not the best idea from the "best practices" standpoint, but it might be the only solution in a few rare situations. It certainly does not violate any formal EIA or NEC standard.

Case in point, this is exactly what I had to do last week. I had to extend two each thirty foot CAT5 cables that had been installed before a wall was added and it was now impossible to simply run new cable. I terminated the existing cables with a CAT5 jack and the new extensions with a modular plug and CLEARLY made a note on the backboard those two cables had a splice in the ceiling.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

I didn't see splice in the thread.

It's a coupler. Standards say that you NEVER splice a Cat5 cable.

I would have used the plan where you terminate the cable on jacks and use a patch cord if I couldn't replace the run.

In practice, I have never spliced a data in 10 years or so of running Cat5 cable, but I have extended data runs with visible jacks(or moved a server or drop) lots of times.

Now voice cables are different and usually involve 709SD splices behind a jack.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Right...you can't "splice" is by soldering, crimping, or scotch locking the conductors together. I don't think he even had that in mind.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

decaturtxcowboy wrote in part:

This is the debateable part: EIA 568 calls for structured cabling to be up to 90m of unbroken cable. Field termination on jacks. Head end on jacks or an interconnect block (110) further run to jacks. Interconnect is from the 10m patchcord allowance.

A splice (or coupler) would only fit if you considered it "an interconnect block". Since they're often 110 parts, they might qualify.

I don't like jacks/plugs. Nests of crosstalk made for quick connect/disconnect. Not reliable enough to be buried anywhere. In the few occasions I've spliced, I use a C4 on a bit of broken

110 seat. Then loop and Tye-Rap (ouch!) for strain handling.

Never though of writing on the back board. I labeled the cable on both ends with orange tape marked "SPLICED".

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.