Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: AT&T Inventions Fueled Tech Boom, And Its Own Fall
I wouldn't call this a "lack of truthful internals" or "inflated cost". I would call it the problems of transition as technology changed. As a monopoly in electro-mechanical technology for the U.S.,...

Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements
It is important to note that arrangements varied greatly from place to place depending on the date, local conditions and the telephone company that first installed the network. Party lines were common...

TiVo Report Shows Super Bowl Ads Got Huge Audience; Sexy, Funny
TiVo Report Shows Super Bowl Ads Got Huge Audience; Sexy, Funny Ads Still Drew Most Enthusiastic Viewership - Feb 7, 2005 08:32 AM (PR Newswire) McCartney's Tamer Halftime Show Keeps More Viewers...

E-Bay to Cut Fees, Expand Customer Support
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Online auctioneer eBay Inc. will lower the fees it charges to list items for sale, the company said on Sunday, as it also announced other changes in pricing and customer service...

Hackers, Virus Writers Target Mobile Phones
Hackers can scoop up calendars, contact lists and other sensitive information, or turn a mobile phone into a bugging device to secretly listen in on conversations. Mobile viruses that spread through...

Former AOL Employee Pleads Guilty in Spam Case
Jason Smathers, 24, admitted to conspiracy and interstate trafficking of stolen property, charges that could carry a maximum prison sentence of 24 months under federal guidelines. The federal case...

Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying
In article <>, AES <> writes: [ But if you decide to print it, PAT, please remove my email address. ] Right. In the right circumstances fingerprint evidence is reliable. The law enforcement agencies...

Paul, I once lived in an area (1955) in West Virginia where pairs were scarce. We were on a ten party line. Five ringers were tip-to-ground and five were ring-to-ground. They used coded ringing to...

In the Bell System, ground start was never used for residential service. On two-party lines, the "tip" party would be wired with the ringer (and, on occasion, a portion of the hybrid coil) connected...

Re: Satellite Radio Technology
I have the XM system and that's what it means. One receiver per activation. You get a discount on the multiple activations, but each s/n has a service. Not yet, but I either dreamed or they are close...

Yup, they did all that. Tuned ringers, various combinations of ringing tip/ring vs. tip/ground, and ring patterns. Only on manual exchanges where you saw a lot of numbers like 1234J, or it was just...

Re: Any Recommendations re: Economy Internet Phone Service?
I pay 3.85 cents/minute for regular, dial 1+ long distance from my home phone (either line -- nice and convenient). 12 hours of that comes to $27.72. Less calling comes to less money, obviously; 6...

Re: Any Recommendations re: Economy Internet Phone Service?
It's no rumor -- I'm about to cancel my Vonage account as soon as the number is ported away which is supposed to happen on Wednesday. It used to be fine but in recent months the voice quality became...

Healthwatch: Deep Throat's Secret (and Health...)
ob telecom: The Watergate burglers were caught planting bugs and wiretaps... ------------- From an article by John "cancer on the presidency" Dean in Sunday's LA Times: "I have little doubt that one...

Digital Cellular Sound Quality
[Please withhold my email address.] My old analog cell phone, a Nokia 918, has a cheap, grandfathered rate plan, so I'm not likely to upgrade unless Cingular rips out their analog equipment. Get this:...