Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

U.S. Companies Move Call Center Work to the Home
NEW YORK (Reuters) - People who reach Esther DeJesus when they call Office Depot Inc.'s customer service center have no idea that she's sitting at home in a room decorated with pictures of Garfield...

Audioblog.com lets bloggers include sound, video files
By Michael Bazeley, Mercury News The push-button ease of blogging opened online publishing to the masses. Virtually anyone today can create a blog in minutes. But as bloggers look for new ways to...

Book Review "Managing Security with Snort and IDS Tools"
BKMSWSIT.RVW 20041106 "Managing Security with Snort and IDS Tools", Kerry Cox/Christopher Gerg, 2004, 0-596-00661-6, U$39.95/C$57.95 %A Kerry Cox %A Christopher Gerg %C 103 Morris Street, Suite A,...

Re: Last Laugh! Stop Junk Faxes!
and/or "You already have my number. Could please fax the info in BRAILLE?" LB

Brother Question
I recently bought a Brother All in One -- mainly for the copying ability. My question is: Does anyone know if Brother will sell my phone number if I activate the fax part of the machine? TIA LB

Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements
If this was back in the 60s, $50 was equal to about $500 today. I always wondered how much the AMA added to the cost of toll calls. The Bell System had to develop very complex tape punch machines to...

Re: Last Laugh! Stop Junk Faxes!
They still win. That takes entirely too much time for marginal results. wal wrote:

Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements
Many thanks to all who have replied. The variety that existed in the old U.S. network makes for some interesting history compared to the British situation where the nationalized GPO (General Post...

Microsoft Issues 8 'Critical' Software Patches
NOTE: It must have been a busy day at Bill Gates' shop Tuesday. By Brian Krebs, Staff Writer Microsoft Corp. today released a dozen software patches to cover 16 security flaws -- half of which it...

Re: Digital Cellular Sound Quality
The analog calls require several times the bandwidth of a digital call. The voice quality was slightly better but at a great expense. With digital calls, sampling is not the issue. The compression of...

Re: E-Bay to Cut Fees, Expand Customer Support
Lisa Minter quotes Reuters: I don't know how eBay can stop automated responses to email when they don't accept email. There are no email addresses anywhere on their site. Like many web site operators,...

Paper Deadline Reminder: IEEE Conference on Services Computing
I wanted to use this note to remind you that the paper submission deadline of IEEE International Conference onn Services Computing (SCC 2005) is approaching. Thank you very much for your great...

Re: Need Recommendations For Economy "Pay as You Go" Cell Phones
I have a TracFone which would seem to fill that need pretty nicely. You can go to their web page, buy a refurbished phone for $30 and they give you 2 months activation and 110 or 120 minutes with it....

Re: Need Recommendations for Economy "Pay as You Go" Cell Phones
After reviewing all our options, including complaints re SOME carriers we chose Virgin Mobile. But then we knew the SPCS netwrok would be used by VM and had been happy with SPCS. Ask friends who are...

Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying
I don't know how the store systems are set up. I do know that we have two door lock fingerprint scanners where I work. These scanners apparently store the fingerprint info locally to themselves...