Can't call my VOIP phone from my cell phone, except when ROAMING

Did you get a new number when you signed up for Vonage? Maybe it's a freshly-allocated exchange that your cell phone company doesn't have in its routing tables yet. You should tell Vonage as they have people who deal with that sort of thing.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz
Loading thread data ...

Just an idea that I have heard: some cell phones use a compression algorithm and some IP services use a compression/decompression and some of these combinations do not work well together. It may be that the error message detects this sub optimal incompatibility and craps out!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Here is an odd one. I signed up with Vonage. So far so good, I have no complaints about Vonage. However, if I try to call my IP phone using my cell phone I get an error message saying "Welcome to US cellular, message EU-32 check your number and dial again". This happens only in the US cellular covered area.

The odd thing is, if I go to work where I am "ROAMING" I can call home with no problem. Odd isn't it? So far I have gotten nowhere with the US cellular folks, and I am pretty sure this is THEIR problem but I wanted to know if anybody had any input or ideas.

Thanks,

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Yes, it is a new number. I have emailed both US cellular and Vonage. Your description sounds like a good possibility.

Thanks,

--Dan

Reply to
dg

I think Miguel is on the right track. I was going to ask you if you had ported the Vonage number, but it sounds like you didn't--just a new number.

Forget about that compression stuff suggestion by someone else. that's not causing your problem.

Also, since I don't know if the market (city) that you're in has 7 digit *local* dialing, but if they do, try dialing it use all 10 digits (NPA-NXX-XXXX). Again, that would also get back to a routing issue in the MSC translations. You didn't mention if the new VoIp number can be dialed from a local landline w/o any probs?

Another thing...This paragraph is more of an FYI b/c I have another provider, but also did 'evaluate' Vonage. With VoicePulse, if you've enabled any of the "follow-me" features on the VoIP number that include your cellphone as a simultaneous ring, you may be unable to reach your VoIP # from the cell. Even if you did, that *should* still work, but it would go to your cellular VMail. The problem in this case is encountered when you're trying to hit your voip # from the cell, and you get your cell VM. I just wanted to mention that.

Keep us posted as to the outcome.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Wang

I too agree that the problem is most likely the freshly allocated exchange. The reason being, I can call the IP phone using a landline, I can also call it if I am ROAMING on my cell phone but never withing US cellular territory. So, yesterday I went down to US Cellular and told them about the problem but didn't mention wht I thought the problem was. I was fortunate to talk to their tech who is apparently pretty sharp because the first thing out of his mouth was "is this a new prefix?" I told him yes, but didn't dare mention it was an IP phone as I didn't want him pointing fingers at somebody else. So, according to the tech the problem should be solved by Tuesday. It is SO refreshing to talk to a technician who is actually good at what he does.

Thanks for all of your help, otherwise this could have taken a LOT longer!

THANKS!

--Dan

Reply to
dg

I had this problem before.....tell your provider to perform a "LERGE"....

Reply to
Isaac

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.