VOIP Gateway for old Norstar system? [Telecom]

I have an old Norstar 6x16 KSU at work (with Compact DR5 software). I have high-speed Internet at work and home.

Are there any voip gateways that would allow me to put a 7310 or equiv. phone at home and connect it to the KSU at work via the Internet?

I only need one phone.

***** Moderator's Note *****

The best you'll be able to do is get basic "POTS" dial tone, without any of the Norstar's feature set. Nortel uses out-of-band (supersonic) signalling for the features on it's 7310 series, which is why they only need tip & ring to connect, but there's not any VoIP device I know of that will relay that signalling.

If you do some research, you might find an off-premise-extension card for the Norstar, but the odds are slim: I don't know if they ever made one, and if they did, it would be an increible find.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!)

Reply to
cgallery
Loading thread data ...

MCK makes a product for you. You can extend the digital phone over an IP network, you will need VPN.

Reply to
Gerald Harper

Yes, there is -one- product that does this. I don't remember who makes it, (The company is 3 letters, probably initials -- "MC-something", maybe) but it is *NOT* inexpensive -- somewhere around $1500+ for _each_ end.

It is -not- standard VoIP, but a VPN tunnel carrying the proprietary transcoded norstar phone data-stream..

Note: the physical interface on the Norstar phones is very ISDN-like (2B1Q) but with some significant differences at the protocol level.

FALSE TO FACT. see above.

Grossly inaccurate description. see above.

There is no provision for 'cards' in a Compact 6x16, at all. What (limited) hardware 'options' there are plug in as an 'extension', tying up one of the 16 pairs used for local phones.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I stand corrected. I am chastised. You're now on my list.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.