Using PDA VOIP Client As Incoming Extension? [telecom]

My home phone system is hooked up to a LinkSys SPA3102 using CallCentric as my VOIP provider.

Outgoing 800 and 911 calls go out on POTS and everything else goes out through the VOIP provider. CallCentric spoofs my telco phone number, so recipients get the right impression: that the call is coming from me on my home phone system.

Incoming calls are 100% POTS.

I just put an app called "Bria" on my iPod, pointed it at CallCentric, and it seems to be working a-ok for outbound calls.

The Question:

+--------------------------------------------------------------+

If I were to migrate my "real" phone number from the telco to CallCentric and enable incoming calls from CallCentric and somebody called my number, how would it go down vis-a-vis the home phone system and my iPod/Bria?

- Would both ring?

- If I picked up on Bria, could somebody else pick up on the home phone system and participate in the call?

- If the first person to pick up were somebody picking up the home phone system, would there be any hope of my chiming in via Bria?

Reply to
Pete Cresswell
Loading thread data ...

That's very much up to how Concentric sets things up.

I'm assuming that you're using SIP for VoIP connectivity. I think that in a setup of this sort, you would probably want to have separate SIP "credentials" for the two SIP client (the SPA at home, and the Bria softphone), both tied to the same CallCentric account, so that both could register with CallCentric at the same time. Many but not all SIP providers support multiple credentials / clients per account.

You would then configure your incoming DID line at CallCentric to ring one, or both of these clients (assuming that they're active) when an incoming call arrives.

It looks as if CallCentric will allow you to do a simultaneous ring of up to three separate destinations.

If you have both clients run, the commonest situation in the SIP world would be that the first one to answer would get the call, and the ringing call to the second client would be cancelled as soon as the first client picked up. There would be no "party line", no "3-way calling" in this situation.

SIP-based VoIP systems certainly can support 3- or multi-way calling, but it involves a more complex call-setup system, and some audio-mixing software running at the VoIP provider's system. CallCentric does support it (up to 4 parties) but it requires manual action to set it up (e.g. your home phone would have to flash the hook and then initiate a call to the Bria) and it looks as if it costs additional for each call (e.g. the call to link in the Bria would be billed as a separate pay-per-minute call).

Reply to
Dave Platt

The authoritative answer to this question involves the cross-mating of a rhinoceros and an elephant.{1}

The *best* way to get a rational answer to this kind of query is to ASK THE MAKER of the systems involved.

To find out how CallCentric deals with such things, *A*S*K* *CallCentric*. To find out what 'Bria" does, ask 'whomever it is' that makes/sells it.

My crystal ball is suffering from a *bad* influx of smog, and is therefore _very_ hard to read, but I believe it {2} said the answers to you questions are: . it is likely . Ask again later . Cannot predict now . Reply hazy, try again

{1} commonly known as an 'elephino'. {2} a Magic 8-ball

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.