Update, was: NYS AG Spitzer Gets Verizon to Wake Up. A Bit

"Verizon to block 'cramming' of computer charges on phone bills

> By MICHAEL GORMLEY, AP Writer April 3, 2005, 12:16 PM EDT > "Albany NY - Verizon Communications Inc. will fight the 'cramming ' > of unauthorized charges by companies such as Internet providers that > appear on phone bills.

It's now up on Spitzer's site:

formatting link
Typical paragraph:

"Verizon must terminate contracts with third parties that have persistent complaint levels. The Attorney GeneralÕs investigation found that in some cases, Verizon did not promptly take action against parties with high complaint levels, even after lawsuits and regulatory actions had been commenced

Still no mention of anything back at the telco for facilitating these charges, no recompense to the consumer who had to notice the fake bill and take the time to complain, and no requirement for pro-activity (i.e. if 50% of "Integra-sleaze" charges are disputed, Verizon can let the other 50% of the payments made by the recipients go through).

But it's a decent start. Personally I believe anyone sending 10,000 fake bills through a telco (and the telco that assists) should be treated to the same criminal charges that anyone mailing out 10,000 fake invoices, hoping that 1/4 of the recipients would send in a check, would get.

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
Danny Burstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.