Top 10 Best Dsl Router Modems 2020 [telecom]

*** PLEA FOR HELP ***

My Quaker meeting just got A DSL line installed, and I promised to supply the router for the meeting house.

But ...

ADSL routers now come with a terminal unit built-in, which is not like the old days and not what I'm used to. Ergo, i had to tell them that my routers wouldn't work, and the meeting is paying to rent one from Frontier.

Although the URL below points to some ratings of "DSL-compatible" routers, I'm really looking for advice. Here's the question: how do I make a router with an Ethernet input work with a DSL line? I don't have any TU's left in my pile 'o parts, so the question is really "What's the most cost-effective solution?"

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps a D-Link DSL-520B ?

formatting link

For some reason on Amazon they cost a fortune now, though I bought one a year or two ago for about $50. It's DSL phone line in, ethernet out. No Wifi.

HTH, apologies if I misunderstood the question.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for, but my guess is that you are asking about having the DSL device either be a bridge or a full router. Some areas of the country (not all) only deployed DSL bridges, plug it in, there is no protection or separation from the ISP network layer-2 and you. Other areas only used a full router, where the device uses PPPoA or PPPoE using a username & password to authenticate and to connect up to the ISP network, and the router typically provides NAT, DHCP services, firewall, etc.

I've seen most ISPs drop support of bridges in the last decade, and going only to full routers, although most DSL CPE can be set into bridge mode in order to facilitate the use of PPPoE after the device by an external router.

That is typically what I have done, use whatever CPE the telco delivered, set it up into bridge mode, and have my router (or firewall device) of my preference handling the routing, NAT, firewalling

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

The OpenWRT olks may have some information. Also see

formatting link
and
formatting link
and friends.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Walton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.