router-modems vs. non-router-modems

I've had SDSL, ADSL, and cable modem service, all with which the modem seems to act as a router: it connects to the phone line (or cable) on one end, and has an ethernet jack on the other end, and my computer acquires an IP address via DHCP. Whether the modem is just forwarding ethernet packets between my computer and a computer at the CO, or whether the modem is decoding the ethernet packets from my computer and forwarding just the IP packets to the CO, my computer neither knows nor cares. However, I recently (April 2005) got an ADSL connection with which my computer connected to the modem via ethernet, as usual, but then had a PPP connection over the ADSL connection to the CO, in the same way that computers normally use PPP connections over dialup connections with standard modems which are connected via a serial port. For this, I was required to install a special driver so that my computer could talk to the ADSL modem, since my OS (Windows 2000) includes drivers just for standard dialup modems, not for ADSL modems, and presumably ADSL modems speak a different language than dialup modems, though I don't see why this is necessary. My question is: since I still have that ADSL modem (a Sagem F@ST

908-E2T, and that's not a typo), but am moving and will be connecting to a new ISP, will I have to buy a new ADSL modem if my new ISP uses the standard modem-as-router method of connecting instead of my old ISP's PPP-over-ADSL method of connecting? The new ISP wants to sell me a D-Link DLK-DSL-300T, and has no idea whether my old modem is compatible. The ISP is unwilling to bother to test my modem on their equipment prior to my scheduled service installation date, and is unwilling to bother to bring along a D-Link to sell me on the installation date in case my Sagem is discovered to be incompatible, so in that case I would have to wait another 2-3 weeks to schedule another installation attempt. So if anybody here can answer the compatibility question in advance, it'd be much appreciated.
Reply to
andrewspencers
Loading thread data ...

All dsl modems (that I'm familiar with*) are (to some extent) routers. Whether pppoe is done by the modem or on the computer doesn't matter. This may help: the Speedstream 5100b/4100 both have ppp clients built in. If a router is used with one of these modems, the recommended process is to set "PPP on Computer" and let the router do the authentication.

Another issue to consider is PPPoA instead of PPPoE.

*Exception to the rule: TI1000, an internal dsl modem once shipped inside Compaq computers to SBC customers.
Reply to
Kay Archer

andrew,

given enough time, brain food, data & aggravation, and an industry complaint modem, you should be able to get the system to "work"... for example, as an experienced engineer, i could probably make it work, but if a modem from the ISP is free to $100... if have to wonder why anyone chose to a get a root canal just to be able to eat ice cream? just food for thought.

P2E

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Wrote:

all with which the modem

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.