[telecom] Re: <RANT>

Bill, the temporary moderator wrote:

Reply to
Mr Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

I've heard AMPS referred to before as the analog cellular system. But, my understanding was AMPS was the system of divisible cell cites, with automatic hand-offs controlled by the switch. Analog RF was the technology at the time. But, going to digital, time-division RF seems to have been an enhancement to AMPS, not a replacement of the fundamental system.

Reply to
Sam Spade

The Google Android phone intriques me. I want one that can do SSH, maybe use a MySQL database on it, etc. Should have web browsing and IM capability. Hell I don't even care if it does voice.

Matter of fact, I think E-911 should be text/IM capable.

Any fan of The I.T. Crowd knows you can email emergency services. :)

***** Moderator's Note *****

I bet it'd get caught in their spam filter ...

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
T

That's right. Both time-division TDMA and GSM and spread spectrum CDMA reuse the same frequency and cells set up for the original analog AMPS system.

It's a replacement to the extent that the signalling was completely different so you needed to replace both the tower equipment and the phones to switch. I still have a phone that does AMPS 800, TDMA 850, TDMA 1900, GSM 850, and GSM 1900, although it's been several years since I've made a call on anything other than GSM.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.