RE Philadelphia emergency text messaging system [Telecom]

To: snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org

> Subject: Philadelphia emergency text messaging system [Telecom] > The Phila Inqr reported that the City of Philadelphia and surrounding > suburbs have rolled out a new emergency text messaging system. The > goal is to give more information on what people should do in case of > emergency. > > In the past, sirens were used, but people didn't know if they should > stay inside (e.g. for a chemical plant leak) or evacuate (e.g. for a > hurricane). > > Further, text messaging uses limited bandwidth and will [supposedly] > get through when cell phones aren't working. > > I suppose this is a good idea, but a great many people do not have > cell phones with text messaging (many people who have cell phones have > texting turned off or no idea how to use it). Also, cell phone towers > can be overwhelmed in an emergency or be out of service altogether, > despite their claims that text msgs get through. > > It seems to me the old style radio/TV system was more reaching. In a > severe emergency, every TV and radio station would broadcast a > warning. They still do, sort of. It would be easy for cable systems > to do that on all their distributed channels but they don't want to be > bothered.

As I have noted in previous posts on TD, cable TV systems carry Emergency Alert messages on all channels.

formatting link
Neal McLain

Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

That should definitely be kept up, but what about people who are, at any given moment, not listening to the radio or watching TV?

During most of my waking hours I am not watching TV. Am I neglecting a civic duty? :) :)

Reply to
mc

Not on my cable system, they don't.

They never hesitate to interupt something for a local ad for a used car dealer, but anything else, nope.

Reply to
hancock4

The government will send someone along shortly to reconnect your telescreen. --scott -- "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

***** Moderator's Note *****

Ignorance Is Strength, but I wonder if War Is Peace. At least I have my Slavery.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of the subject line of your post, or I may never see it. Thanks!)

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I've been hesitating to comment on this because I was not sure, but as luck would have it my cable company ran a EAS test last night during prime time and I was able to switch channels to verify that major local broadcasters and cable channels alike were being interrupted during the test.

I had thought that cable operators were required to put EAS alerts on *all* channels. My local cable operator (Comcast) certainly does it that way.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.