Re: XO Communications

I'm retired from GTE, almost 10 years now so I have been away from it, but to me it there should have been a backup or B side running, besides it was out 7 1/2 hours. It was the company I work for that lost all of their calls coming into Riverside from San Bernardino and a few out of state calls, yet our incoming 800 number worked fine, it had been an AT&T number until we switched companies, so maybe that was still running through them and was not affected by the outage.

I th> Well Steven, an outage involving three DS-3s would likely be related

to an OC-3 failure (an OC-3 at ~155 megabits/second will carry three > DS-3s or just over 2,000 voice channels). I'd guess one of two > failure types caused your emotional trauma: Traditional "back hoe > fade" or an OC-3 to DS-3 mux went on "time out" for a while. > For example, at my work we've got several kinds of access -- one > flavor has a small mux (a Fujitsu FLM-150) arranged on a SONET ring to > a companion mux in a nearby CO. That's great, except that both sides > of the SONET ride in the same fiber sheath -- so if it gets dug up > (the aforementioned syndrome of "back hoe fade") down she goes! Also, > of course, if some of the common stuff in either mux (on either end of > the SONET circuit) fails down she goes! > And who knows? Maybe this mux in San Bernardino wasn't even > configured for SONET -- Maybe it was just single ended! > Like many things in life now-a-days, communications is more fragile > than we might expect or like!

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? (c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Reply to
Steven Lichter
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.