Re: XO Communications

Well Steven, an outage involving three DS-3s would likely be related to an OC-3 failure (an OC-3 at ~155 megabits/second will carry three DS-3s or just over 2,000 voice channels). I'd guess one of two failure types caused your emotional trauma: Traditional "back hoe fade" or an OC-3 to DS-3 mux went on "time out" for a while.

For example, at my work we've got several kinds of access -- one flavor has a small mux (a Fujitsu FLM-150) arranged on a SONET ring to a companion mux in a nearby CO. That's great, except that both sides of the SONET ride in the same fiber sheath -- so if it gets dug up (the aforementioned syndrome of "back hoe fade") down she goes! Also, of course, if some of the common stuff in either mux (on either end of the SONET circuit) fails down she goes!

And who knows? Maybe this mux in San Bernardino wasn't even configured for SONET -- Maybe it was just single ended!

Like many things in life now-a-days, communications is more fragile than we might expect or like!

We had an outage today involving them and Verizon in San Bernardino, > California. Anyone know anything about this. The only thing I could get > out of them was that 3 DS3's were lost. I would think that there would > have been backups and they would have been able to reroute within a > few minutes. > The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today? > (c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.
Reply to
Al Gillis
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.