Re: XO Communications

T>> >>> Well Steven, an outage involving three DS-3s would likely be related

>>> to an OC-3 failure (an OC-3 at ~155 megabits/second will carry three >>> DS-3s or just over 2,000 voice channels). I'd guess one of two >>> failure types caused your emotional trauma: Traditional "back hoe >>> fade" or an OC-3 to DS-3 mux went on "time out" for a while. >> A backhoe undoubtedly being operated by Backhoe Bob. Apparently at a >> recent gathering of IT folks involved with the Help America Vote Act >> this was a common refrain. > We call this "BIPL" or "Backhoe-Induced Packet Loss."

This gives me a queasy feeling. We're moving one of our offices to an area that's former industrial property, industrial in the sense of early 20th century.

And we've chosen to use a fiber based network. Come to think of it, both the carriers in the building now (Verizon and Cox) come in on fiber, not copper.

So it's very likely I'll suffer from BIPL at some point. But power won't be an issue -- nice little 30KW diesel generator will be used for the computer room which will house 3 server racks with 4 servers in each, a Definity Prologix, and assorted networking gear, and HVAC for the computer room.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.