re: Local 10-digit dialing? [Telecom]

I believe most of California is still 7-digit dialing for intra-LATA,

> but overlay is slowly catching on.

DON'T confuse LATAs with NPAs! The are NOT always identical, not even in California!

The landline-originating dial plan from NON-overlaid California NPAs (as well as New York State, and at least northern Illinois) is:

Same or "home" (intra) NPA Calls: "straight" seven-digits, with NO consideration of local vs. toll status. Toll can be intra-LATA toll as well as inter-LATA toll.

1+ten-digits *IS* permissive for such calls. It MIGHT be (but I don't know for a fact) that SOME service providers require a 1+ and then ten-digits for toll calls even within the same area code.

Calls to OTHER NPAs require 1+ten-digits regardless of local vs. toll status of that call. That call can be intra-LATA local, intra-LATA toll, or inter-LATA toll.

The landline-originating dial plan from OVERLAID NPAs in California (310/424 since Aug.2006, 714/657 starting Sept.2008, and 818/747 sometime in 2009 or 2010, and future overlays as implemented), as well as from within New York City's area codes (all overlaid: 212/646, 718/347, and both regions overlaid with 917 as well), and from at least northern Illinois' overlay NPAs (847/224 since 2001/02, 815/779 and 631/330 since

2007), and any other future overlays in NY State and at least northern Illinois as implemented, is 1+ten-digits for ALL calls in the North American Dial Network, regardless of local vs. toll status of that call.

I seem to think that when central Illinois 217/447 overlay and soutern Illinois 618/730 overlays are ulimately implemented, local calls (including to those points in adjacent area codes/states, along a border) will be dialable as "straight" ten-digits, without the 1+ required, but the 1+ will be PERISSIVE. A 1+ will be REQUIRED (before ten-digits) for ALL toll calls to any point within the North American Dial Network, whether the same or co-overlaid area code, or to different area codes/ regions.

The reason is that northern vs. southern Illinois developed to some extent with different switching and dialing requirements historically.

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
Loading thread data ...

That doesn't explain why 1+ dialing is required anywhere in the Chicago area. When I was a kid, the entire metropolitan area was Illinois Bell, with two exceptions, Des Plaines-Park Ridge-parts of the far northwest side of Chicago and the Wonder Lake area. Des Plaines-Park Ridge were later sold to SBC.

The Bell areas were 7d home NPA and 10d foreign NPA. I assume that 1+ dialing wasn't even possible. It was introduced with "convertible" prefixes. Trying to remember if we got convertible prefixes before convertible area codes.

To this day, in the overlaid areas with mandatory 10d home NPA dialing, the 1 dialing prefix is still mandatory.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

I expect they added it when area code 360 was assigned, so there wouldn't be ambiguity between 7D and 1+10D when the 7D starts with what could now be an area code.

As to why you can't dial with 10D in overlay areas, my guess is that it's because you can still use 7D in non-overlay areas such as 312 and

708, there's a lot of people who live close to the line between overlay and non-overlay areas, and they want to avoid people used to 10D accidentally dialing the wrong 7D number.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

A lot of areas years ago, mostly SATT Access types with 53 SATT Step would require a 1+ in front of the phone number when it was a Local Toll call, that sure made it easy to tell what was a free call.

Reply to
Steven Lichter

Rhode Island was 1+ toll for a long time. In fact even now you can turn it on or off on your line here.

Reply to
T

I agree, there are *rare* exceptions in California. The only one that comes to mind is somewhere on the CA AZ border. Do you know of others?

Reply to
Sam Spade

Huh? LATAs don't match up with NPAs at all in Californa.

The San Francisco LATA runs from Santa Cruz up to the Oregon border, including most but not all of AC 707, all of 415, 510, 650, 925, 408, and part of 831. The Chico LATA is part of AC 530, with the rest of

530 in the Sacramento LATA. And so forth, for 10 LATAs, the Palm Springs non-LATA, one little chunk that's part of an Oregon LATA, three chunks in Nevada LATAs, and one in an Arizona LATA.

For details, see this nice map from the CPUC.

ftp://ftp.cpuc.ca.gov/acmaps/2007_CPUC_map_46X54_2.pdf

Reply to
John Levine

Thanks for the map. Very interesting. I'm checking out the list of "Independent" telephone companies. "Volcano" for instance is family owned and operated for several generations.

I presume the Verizon sections used to be GTE and the AT&T sections used to be Pacific Bell, correct?

Reply to
hancock4

Amazing how much unfiled territory there is.

Occasionally, there is an article about it in the Los Angeles Times; i.e., folks in a remote location with no cell phone coverage either, that have some kind of two-way radio hook-up to (usually) Pacific Bell, then SBC, then the "new" AT&T.

So far as I know the AT&T area would all be Pacific Bell/SPC, for their territory was fairly static for quite a few years. But, GTE did a couple of aquistions not too long before they were gobbled up by Verizon, the most notable being Contel.

Reply to
Sam Spade

They match up even less in Texas, and then there are LATAs like Fargo-Brainerd, which straddles the MN/ND line, and Philadelphia, which includes the entire state of Delaware.

I found a couple of surprises on the California map, though:

• in Humboldt County (NW corner), Hoopa is in 530 but in the SF LATA. I have never before seen any reference to the SF LATA's including anything in 530.
  • Chowchilla is in 209, but in the Fresno LATA (mostly 559)
  • Dos Palos & Mariposa are 559, but Stockton LATA (mostly 209)
  • the 209/559 boundary is zig-zag-zig, but the Stockton/Fresno LATA boundary is zag-zig-zag
  • it looks like the Taft rate center (betw Bakersfield & Santa Barbara) is all 661, but split between the Bakersfield & L.A. LATAs
  • the map shows the Placerville rate center (betw Sac'to & Lake Tahoe) all in 530, but split between the Sacramento and Stockton LATAs
  • Palm Springs and San Diego are the only LATAs in which all rate centers have the same ILEC. The Monterey LATA has only AT&T (Pac Bell) and independents; all other LATAs have a mix of AT&T, Verizon (GTE) and indies.

There are large areas where the LATA and NPA boundaries coordinate, but more than a few squiggles where they don't.

Of course, the most obvious proof that LATAs and NPAs are not identical in California is the simple fact that there are 11 LATAs (including Palm Springs, but not the border spillovers) and 26 NPAs. There is no NPA that is coterminous with its LATA, nor is there any LATA that is coterminous with any NPA or combination of NPAs. The best you can do is that 209 and 559 together are coterminous with Fresno and Stockton taken together, except for that weird place up by Placerville. Only two LATAs (Monterey and Palm Springs) are wholly within a single NPA, but in both cases a significant portion of the NPA is in a different LATA. Conversely, only 4 LATAs (SF, LA, Sac'to, San Diego) contain one or more whole NPAs. The L.A. LATA contains 10 whole NPAs, counting 310/424 as a single NPA, plus parts of 3 others.

Reply to
Linc Madison

Please don't Cc me in followup.

That's an argument for an NANPA-wide dialing plan, which we'll never see. Somebody, somewhere will be on the boundary of a change in dialing plan and potential for confusion. I'd still prefer to eliminate dialing the superfluous digit.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman

Just tried calling areacode 773 from 847 this on cell, VOIP and landline. Only the landline (Illinois Bell/Ameritech/SBC/AT&T or whatever they're calling themselves this week) required the leading "1".

- Ron

Reply to
Ron Kritzman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.