France Numbering/Dialing (Written Format of Phone Numbers) [telecom]

Anth>> But there *ARE* some other (European) countries where the full

>> national number MUST be dialed, even for "local" calls within >> the same area code, and the legacy leading '0' (displayed as >> the first actual digit of the area code) must also be dialed. >> I think France has been like this for at least ten years now. > I'm confused. I thought in the French dialing plan, 0 is a > significant digit in the first position of a telephone number > as in the example given in the other followup about how the > French voice telephone numbers by stating pairs of digits.

Are you referring to what Joseph Singer wrote in his Feb.25 post?:

The French put their numbers in pairs e.g. for Paris 0123456789 > they'd show 01 23 45 67 89 since they would quote a number as > zero one, twenty-three, forty-five, sixty-seven, eighty-nine, > rather than two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine.

While Joseph didn't specify one way or another, for over ten years now, France has had full national dialing, with that leading '0', written immediately in front of the single-digit geographic "sector" code, with NO parsing.

And then John Levine also wrote in reply to you on March 7:

Wikipedia says it selects the carrier. 0 is France Telecom, other > digits are other carriers.

Actually, I think (and I could be misinformed on this) that dialing local/national numbers (in full national format) with a leading '0' routes the call via your primary chosen carrier, similar to "straight" seven-digit-dialed home-NPA toll calls here in the US (where such can be dialed), and _1+_ten-digit-dialed toll calls here in the US and Canada as well, in both cases where the caller has NOT prefixed a

101-XXXX+ carrier code first.

Leading digits OTHER than '0' are to selecta specific carrier, and FranceTelecom has their own leading non-zero digit, which would be dialed in place of the '0' if one's primary carrier did not happen to be FranceTelecom, yet the caller chose to use them on a "per-call" basis (or one didn't know offhand who the primary carrier on that line happens to be and wants to be certain that their call routes via FranceTelecom. This is similar to the use of forcing a 101-XXXX+ carrier code prefix before 1+ten-digit-dialed toll calls from the US/Canada (and "straight" seven-digit-dialed toll calls from within the US where such exists).

(Repeat the above two paragraphs for 0+ type special billed calls within the NANP, ss well as 011+ sent-paid International and Overseas calls from the NANP, as well as 01+ for special billed internanational and overseas calls from the NANP, regarding the presence vs. lack of,

101-XXXX+ carrier code prefixes).

I do think that INITIALLY, circa 1996/97/98, local/national calls made within France which started off simply as '0'/etc. were routed via FranceTelecom, yet callers could still "force" the call via other carriers with different (non-zero) leading digits, but the plan was eventually for customers to "declare" their desired default carrier, determined by the legacy leading '0', and FranceTelecom has their own dedicated (non-zero) leading digit.... similar to (but not exactly the same as to) how initially (1984 and early 1985, where Equal Access had been introduced), if you "opted out" from "pic'ing" a carrier (ignored all mailed ballots, refused to choose on any followup phone calls, etc), you'd be "defaulted" to AT&T for your inter-LATA toll calls. But for those who did choose a primary carrier, and chose one other than AT&T, there was still 10-288 (now 101-0288); and how starting in early 1985, the FCC changed it to where you HAD to choose a carrier or else have a primary carrier chosen for you -- even customers who previously "opted-out" had to now choose or have one chosen for them. (alhough "no pic" is valid option, but that means you have NO primary inter-LATA carrier associated with your line).

Regular (POTS) domestic calls within France's +33 are thus usually dialed with ten-digits, a '0' followed by nine "significant" digits, while when viewed from outside of France, internationally, they have a NINE signifcant digits domestic numbering plan, dialed after their

+33 Country Code.

France, or at least the Paris metro area, has had some changes over to its numbering and dialing plan in recent decades -- late 1970s,

1980s, and late 1990s. But France's numbering and dialing has been much more stable than the UK's during the 1980s/90s time period.

There was a time prior to the late 1970s? early/mid 1980s?, when the Paris metro area did have 7-digit local numbering/dialing, and their area code was simply just '1'.

Within France, the access codes for national and international toll were two digits beginning with '1', i.e., 1X+. Several special service "short" codes such as Police, Operator, Telco Repair, etc. were just the two digits '1X'. Much of this also changed in the later 1990s as well.

But in the 7-digit days in Paris (the rest of France back then had

6-digit local numbers, and 2-digit national area codes), local numbers COULD begin with a significant '0', i.e., 0xx-xxxx. And in the lettered and named dialed exchange name days, the letter "oh" was on the digit '0' (as well as the letter 'Q'), and exchange names (at least in Paris) could begin with the letter "oh", as mentioned by Julian Thomas on Feb.27:

Years ago in France the letter Oh was on the zero position. I had a

> dickens of a time in Paris dialling an OPEra number (in those days, > exchanges were 3 letters) because it was incomprehensible to me that > a number would begin with a zero!

I know that Paris had 3L-4N numbering during the days of lettered exchange names, simlar to the largest cities in the UK years ago (London, Birmingham, Edinburgh in Scotland, Glasgow in Scotland, Liverpool, Manchester), and in the US many years ago (New York City in the 1920s, Philadelphia until 1946, Chicago until 1948, and Boston until 1949). The letters 'O' and 'Q' were on the digit '0' on the dials in France. The UK had the letter 'O' on the digit '0' as well. In Paris, I don't think that any exchange names began with a 'Q', but there was ROQuette, which would be '700' from ROQ. But in addition to OPEra (073 from OPE), there was also:

OBErkampf (023 from OBE) OBServatoire (027 from OBS) ODEon (033 from ODE) ORNano (076 from ORN)

Finally, I have done some google searches for the French national regulator, and numbering plan administrator, as well as looked at FranceTelecom's website, but everything is in French ONLY, apparantly with no option for English. But I do remember some of the mid/late

1990s numbering/dialing changes in France having been discussed in Telecom Digest in the past.

- a/b

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
Loading thread data ...

Right. You dialed the local number for local calls, or 16 and then

1+number for Paris or 8D for everywhere else.

They have tons of info in English. Visit

formatting link
click the British flag near the top left.

Regards, John Levine, snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies", Information Superhighwayman wanna-be,

formatting link
ex-Mayor "More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

Reply to
John Levine

Well, yes, the UK flag (which is VERY TINY, and doesn't necessarily indicate that clicking on it will give English language options) does give you an English option, but not everything at their site is mirrored/translated into English. And the French Telephone Numbering information is one of those items NOT available in English.

formatting link
the page for "Grands dossiers: la numerotation"

The closest thing in Enlish is:

formatting link
title starts off in English, "Major Files", but the rest of it is all in French only, exactly what appears in the first referenced direct URL.

- a/b

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
[snip]

What do you want to know about the French Numbering plan ?

It's a 10 Digit plan that can be split the following way :

E ( Telecom Operator Prefix 0 & 8 : France Telecom, 7 & 9 : Neuf Cegetel, 4 : Tele 2 ) Z ( Geographic Zone, 1 is Paris and around , 2 is North West, 3 is North East, 4 is South East, 5 is south West ) ABPQ ( Used to be the exchange identifier, there's several identifiers for a given exchange ) MCDU ( Line identifier on a given exchange. )

Special EZ : 06 That's mobile services. All the mobiles and pager numbers starts with that.

08 That's value added services. 0800 -> toll free numbers for example. the two following digits ( after 08 ) gives the price category, the higher the more expensive. 09 Telephony services ( Voice over IP/ADSL/triple play offers )

To dial in France you just dial the 10 digits. ( note : unless you're subscribed to Neuf-Cegetel or Tele 2 you will always start the dialled number with 0 )

To dial outside on France you dial 00, the country code, and your number.

The following are short numbers :

3xxx : value added services. 3612 - 3618 are the minitel services for example. 15, 17, 18, 112, 115, 119 : emergency services and assimilated. 118xxx : various help services.

10xx : operator services. for France Telecom : 1015 leads you to the nearest 'customer support' for example.

16xx : is an extended version of E. It date from when the telecoms were deregulated and there was many operators that wanted a prefix. There wasn't enough prefix available especially as FT kept 2 of them ( 0 and 8 ), so the 16xx was introduced.
Reply to
Guillaume Maurice

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.