Re: Cordless Phone Does Not Ring

>> I am facing a baffling problem. I have a corded and a cordless phone

>> hooked in my apartment along with AT&T DSL internet on the same phone >> line. >> Few days back my 900Mhz Uniden cordless phone stopped ringing whenever >> there used to be incoming call. My corded phone continue to ring and I >> could even use either phones to answer the calls. There was no problem >> for outging calls also from either phones. Some times for incoming >> calls the corded phone use to ring only once and gets directly >> connected. I picked any of the phones I could answer the call. >> I thought it could be a problem with the Uniden phone and purchased a >> 2.4Ghz GE phone. It also behaved exactly the same way. Both the >> cordless phones have answering system, which is also not working. I >> checked GE and Uniden cordless phones at my friends place along with >> all the DSL filters. Surprisingly the phones and answering system >> worked just fine. >> Now I felt the problem is with my telephone service / Line. I got it >> checked from At&T and they informed me the line is ok. He mentioned it >> could be due to "Interference" with wireless network. I tried using >> the phones without DSL and without wireless routers. Things did not >> change. Now I am wondering if wireless networks in my apartment >> vicinity (there are several of them) are interfering with my cordless >> system? Can any body explain the phenomenon and the way to solve it? >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The first thing which came to mind was >> not that there was 'interference'. If there was 'interference', you >> would occassionally hear 'static' or something similar on the line >> when you were using it. Also, you would probably receive spurious >> ringing (no rhyme nor reason to it; just occassional tingles from the >> ring-making device on the cordless phone) when the 'interference' >> bothered the cordless unit. Before you go around polling your >> neighbors to see about their cordless phones and wireless apparatus, >> I would first go by the clues you gave in your first paragraph: >> (1) You recently got AT&T DSL service. and (2) the cordless phone >> only rang _once_ and was directly connected. That 'one ring and then >> connected' sort of sounds ot me like a short on the line. Not enough >> of a short to make your line totally busy but enough of a short that >> with sufficient ringing voltage (as oppposed to voltage to talk with) >> something is happening. >> I'd try unplugging all the phones and the DSL incoming line. Then do >> a controlled test where you place a call to yourself (maybe from a >> cell phone?) with _only_ the wireless phone plugged in where you >> normally have the wired phone plugged in. See if your wireless phone >> and its answering machine now start working, or see if you can make >> the cordless phone 'ring once' and then be connected. If it does work >> okay at that point, then the hassle is in the wiring of one or more of >> your phone outlets. I suggest that in most cases with wireless phones >> and answering machines, only two wires are used; for simplicity, the >> red and the green. But sometimes, on cordless phones and answering >> machines the outside pair (yellow and black wires number 1 and 4) are >> also used. Is your answering machine set up to cut off whenever a >> phone is picked up? If that is the case, then sometimes the >> yelllow/black wires 1 & 4 are 'jumpered' to green and red (wires 2 & >> 3) inside the phone somehow or _maybe_ in the wall box. After you do >> these litle experiments I suggested, get back to us here and >> _carefully_ document what happened. PAT] >> Pat thanks for you response and attention. > I unplugged all the phones and DSL for 10 min and then reconnected only > the cordless phone. Then called the number from my cell phone. The > phone do not ring for incoming calls nor the answering machine. > Outgoing calls and dial tone are working fine. In fact cordless phone > do not ring at all whether connected stand-alone or with corded phone. > The phenomenon started just a couple of weeks back, before that > everything was working file for past 3 months with the same set-up. I > tried 3 different phone jacks in my apartment with 2 different > cordless phone (900Mhz & 2.4Ghz) which works fine in my friend's > place. Please suggest. Thanks > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Now for the next part of this > experiment, let's repeat the above, but when you *know* an incoming > call is coming in (because you are placing it from your cell phone) > try _answering_ the cordless phone, just pick it up and see if you > can talk to yourself. Let's detirmine if in fact there is some trouble > with the ringer but the connection is good otherwsie. Let's also try > listening to what the cell phone is receiving while we do this: Is > it ringing in your ear normally, or ringing once or one-half time > then stopping, etc. Emulate an incoming call to yourself. PAT]-

When I call from cell phone to the cordless, I can hear ringing in the cell phone. I can pick the non-ringing cordless and talk normally. The connection is good as normal, only problem is I do not get notification of an incoming call.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But when you unplug your cordless phones and replug them in at someone else's jack they _always_ work correctly? (yes/no) You have two cordless phones now, the original one plus a new one you bought recently? Do they both always work OK at the other location while _NOT_ working at your location? (yes/no) At your place, knowing that a call is coming in (your own cell phone) you can answer all incoming calls without having heard a ring? (yes/no). The phones work okay at both locations except you do not get a ringing signal (although you know it is 'ringing' at your place?) If for all these questions your answer is (yes) then I strongly suggest the hassle is somehow with your own wiring. PAT]
Reply to
San
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.