No dial tone, no service, no respect -- not even for Alexander Graham Bell descendant [telecom]

Her telephone died weeks ago. Since then, Helene Pancoast has been engaged in a farcical struggle familiar to any no-account customer up against an errant provider of cable, gas, electricity or telephone service.

You know the feeling. Like wandering through a maze. Reduced to communicating with robotic voices reciting touch-tone menus of choices that hardly correspond to your particular dilemma. ``Press 3 if your phone is inoperable.''

Finally comes the live voice of a service rep with a tenuous grip on English, who shunts you to another line that kicks you back to the original recording. ``Press 9 if you would like to be transferred to the suicide hot-line.''

Helene Pancoast speaks for all of us, as she bemoans the ``general malaise and disconnection of the service industries of people serving people.''

``General disregard, for the problems of others and of service to customers and community, has become the norm,'' she complains.

WHAT'S IN A NAME

Except it's not just you or me who can't convince AT&T to fix the phone.

``My grandmother Marian Bell Fairchild always told us that we should never `use the connection' of the Bell Name to get special attention,'' Pancoast says.

A few days ago, in the midst of trying (and failing) to convince a telephone repairman to reconnect her to civilization, she violated grandmother's edict. ``I did mention as well that, as the last remaining Bell descendant living in Miami, I felt their service was beyond terrible.''

The very great granddaughter of Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone, father of the Bell communications conglomerate known lately as AT&T, can only rage against the machine.

formatting link
or
formatting link

Reply to
Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

This is by design. Staffing customer support is not a profit center. Thus, the modern bean counter have convinced management to discourage customers from complaining.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I can't think of a better way to drive customers toward the competition, and I've got an email history with Virgin Mobile to prove it.

Does anyone know how to reach Sir Richard Branson? I've got a complaint I want to deliver.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Sam Spade

Would anyone know how Verizon (baby Bell) customer service for landlines has been lately? I've heard complaints of people with bad POTS and unable to get it repaired and great difficulty in reaching anyone at Verizon.

I find this troubling. I hope they're not trying to 'motivate' people to switch from POTS to FIOS or wireless; because some of those people might switch to cable phone service and another wireless carrier.

Reply to
Lisa or Jeff

formatting link

It reminds me of the time my father was renovating a two story house and had problems with the power company. The power feed came from the power pole using overhead wires to a steel conduit on the outside wall that went from the ground floor all the way up to the roof line of the building

Dad had removed the second story of the building and had requested the power company disconnect service, including all wires to the building until he scheduled a reconnection.

The power company's records claimed this had already been done a short while ago. Repeated telephone calls failed to get them to send anyone out to visually inspect or resolve the issue. They even went so far as to send my father a letter telling him the same thing which included a fictitious date when the removal had been accomplished. A visual inspection by my father and myself showed the wires still attached and there was still voltage at the meter base on the house.

After receiving the letter notifying him that the service to the building had already been disconnected at the telephone pole my father took a large sledge hammer and knocked the electrical conduit and meter off the side of the house. The wires came down onto the street and shorted together causing the power companies transformer to explode and burn. In the end the power pole caught on fire as well.

The fire department and police were not amused by the entire incident and initially gave my father a hard time. The power company tried to have the police arrest my father for maliciousness mischief or some such charge. Everyone backed off once dad showed them the letter from the power company indicating the wires had been previously removed all the way to the pole by power company's own technicians two weeks earlier.

The power pole had to be replaced before a new transformer could be mounted and power restored to the neighbors houses, all at no cost to my father.

Later when my father called to have the power restored to the house four truck loads of people arrived on site. All but two were just standing around watching while two technicians actually did the work...

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Sounds like the model for California state government.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.