"no shutdown" not working

Hi,

I have an Catalyst 3550 XL with IOS version 12.0(5.3)WC(1), i am using it for testing. I created two VLAN's 91 and 92. I shutdown both the VLAN's for some testing, but when i wanted to do a "no sutdown" it is still in shutdown state. This is what i do

conf t int vlan 92 no shutdown

but when do a sh vlan i get the below output showing the vlan is shutdown.

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- ---------

-------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Gi0/1, Gi0/2 91 VLAN0091 act/lshut Fa0/5, Fa0/6, 92 VLAN0092 act/lshut Fa0/9, Fa0/10,

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Reply to
Learning Cisco
Loading thread data ...

Int vlan blah would refer to the management vlan of the switch. On a layer 2 switch you can have only 1 active managment vlan. Vlans are set in the vlan databse and are routed via a router. Something also needs to be pluged into the switchports in those vlans for the vlans to be up/up

switch#vlan data switch#vlan 91 name blah switch#vlan 92 name blah blah switch#apply switch#exit switch# conf t switch(conf)#int f0/5 switch(conf)#switchport access vlan 91 switch(conf)#int f0/7 switch(conf)#switchport access vlan 92 switch(conf)#exit switch(conf)#exit switch# wr mem

Reply to
Brian V

Hi,

1. You are referring to 3500XL (e.g. 3524XL or 3548XL) which is a Layer
2 only product. It does NOT support L3 routing and the "VLAN" interface is used merely for management purpose. Cat3550 is a layer 3 capable switch.
  1. That said, you can have only 1 VLAN interface activated at one time for management purpose. To activate the management VLAN interface, type "manage" as below.

conf t int vl 92 manage end

Not too sure what you are trying to do, but keep in mind that you are having a layer 2 switch.

hktco

Learn> Hi,

Reply to
dwhkt

Reply to
Learning Cisco

formatting link
You can find all the answers here. In brief:

1. Cat1900, 2900XL, 3500XL, 2950, 2970 are L2-only switches.
  2. Cat3550, 3560, 3750 switches are L3-capable switches.

hktco

Learn> Thanks a lot hktco, I got it. Is there any link or reference that I can

Reply to
dwhkt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.