No Win98 No Cry - no driver no pcmcia response...

Hi All, I recently purchased a HP laptop, it is my first, however it is too old to upgrade, and there are many drivers pre-installed for that OS (I tried to run a live version of Linux but it could not handle it). I am considering buying a network card, however I have 2 questions:

1, can I connect to a Netgear or D-Link wireless network (802.11g/wi-fi in other words) 2, if so should I buy a 54 or 108 Mbps card. I have a 108 here and am trying to hook up to a working n.w however my laptop does not even recognise the PC card as new hardware.

Anything that anyone could do to help would be very....helpful?!

H
Reply to
Dwiz
Loading thread data ...

On 6 Dec 2006 09:35:10 -0800, "Dwiz" wrote in :

Sure, if you know the network security.

A good standard 54 Mbps "g" card should be fine as long as you choose a card with Win98 drivers; e.g., Buffalo Wireless-G High Speed Notebook Adapter WLI-CB-G54S (supports Win98SE, not original Win98).

Reply to
John Navas

First, I will assume you want wireless. Wired network is a trivial matter on older laptops.

I went through this with a compaq presario 1245 a while back. It came with a

4 gig drive and 32 meg of ram - ok in 1999, but very much out of date now. I added 128 meg of ram, only size memory upgrade available.

To get wireless, you must upgrade to win98se, no choice on that. My copy of win98se is oem, so it will not upgrade the compaq win98. I have dciscovered a way to do that, mentioned in this ng a few weeks ago. You can find the message quite easily. What I did was obtain all the necessary drivers from compaq, and put them on my network. Then I got out my ethernet pcmcia card and the drivers cd. Then format the drive and install win98se, install the wired network card and drivers, and all the device drivers from the network, as well as windows update. This is fine, but a couple of things are not quite right. However, close enough, as I don't need the missing features. I bought a linksys wireless-g 2.4 ghz pcmcia card wpc54g, and a linksys wireless router. Combination works well, and the other machines here co-operate with the router. I tried a friends's d-link 'enhanced' card, but it did not work properly with the older laptop.

I think, simple slower technology for older machines is best.

yes, as above

Get the slower card. You can't really use the extra speed anyways, so why pay for it and bring possible problems.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Did you try Damn Small Linux or perhaps Slax? Neither has huge system requirements.

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.