How to create a freeware cellphone telephone ringtone from an MP3 song? [Telecom]

How can I create a ringtone from an MP3 song using freeware?

And, how do I get that ringtone onto my AT&T (Cingular) Motorola RAZR V3 cell phone?

Reply to
Susan
Loading thread data ...

I can't be sure about this one, but generally, with modern full-featured phones you can e-mail a short MP3 file from your computer to your phone via the Internet, save it, and use it as a ringtone. Others should be able to supply the details.

Reply to
MC

I don't know how to get the ringtone into your AT&T telephone but here is how to create a 20 second ringtone from any MP3 song on your computer that won't blow your telephone speaker ...... (this I got off the Internet a few years back so I don't know whom to give proper credit to) .......

IMPORT MP3:

1. Locate any desired MP3 song on your Windows computer hard drive
  2. Start Audacity 1.2.6 freeware
    formatting link
    Import the desired MP3 using "Project > Import Audio"

CHOOSE MP3 SNIPPET:

1. Using left click, play, & stop, roughly choose the desired snippet
  2. With nothing playing, left click near the middle of your selection
  3. "View > Zoom to Selection" to get rough start & end points Note: You want only about 25 to 30 seconds showing in your window

DELETE THE REST:

1. With nothing playing, left click near the beginning of your selection
  2. Press "Edit > Select > Start to Cursor" & then "Edit > Delete"
  3. With nothing playing, left click to set the cursor at the snippet end
  4. Press "Edit > Select > Cursor to End" & then "Edit > Delete" Note: Aim for a ringtone of about 20 seconds (25 seconds maximum)

REMOVE STEREO:

1. Set "Edit > Preferences > File Formats > Bit Rate: 32 kbps" > OK
  2. Locate the arrowed pulldown on left to the select "Split Stereo Track" Note: This pulldown is hard to find; it's not on the pulldown menus; it's on the left; there is an X to the left, then the song title, then the downarrow has the pulldown for "Split Stereo Track".
  3. Hit the "X" for one of the now-split tracks to delete that one track
  4. Select the one track (ctrl+A) & press "Project > Quick Mix" Note: That creates an empty second track; I'm not sure why it's needed.

FADE & FILTER:

1. Set the "Project rate:" at the bottom left to 22050 Hz (22.05 kHz)
  2. Sweep-select the last two seconds & hit "Effect > Fade Out"
  3. Ctrl+A, choose "Effect > High Pass Filter > 150 Hz" Note: This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to protect your phone speaker!
  4. Amplify by selecting ("ctrl + A) & pressing "Effect > Amplify" Note: Turn "Allow Clipping" off and only amplify enough not to clip; do not allow the "New Peak Amplitude" to rise above 3 dB.

EXPORT:

1. File > Export selection as MP3 & give it a name.
  2. The filename (not counting the .mp3) cannot exceed 32 characters.
  3. The file size should be less than 100 KB (average around 80 KB).

This creates a good loud 20 second mono ringtone at the right bitrate and with the right frequencies so as not to destroy your telephone speaker.

How you then get this ringtone from your computer into your telephone is a mystery for me and best left for the others here to describe.

Reply to
Tom

alt.cellular.attws

Reply to
DTC

Buy Motorola's "Phone Tools" software, available at their online store. It does a bunch of other fun stuff like photo transfer over USB. Most important for me, it lets you charge your phone from your computer's USB port.

Note that the MP3 to ringtone function does not work with phones whose carrier's lock this function (e.g. Verizon). I've done it with a AT&T RAZR.

formatting link
Enjoy,

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.