I'm looking, sigh, yes, for a "ring tone" [telecom]

I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even the Nokia or t-Mobile default.

It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500" metal-on-metal clapper bell.

(Well, a pretty close facsimile thereof).

The owner had no idea where his phone had gotten it.

I'm now using a Nokia, umm, something or another, which allows me to add one of these.

Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led to even more confusion.

Suggestions? Thanks muchly.

(Yes, I know I might have to pay a few dollars for it).

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

How about free? :-)

A quick Google search found a horribly-long URL to wirelessadvisor.com which had a thrice larger URL to their free 2500-style ringtone. I refuse to use tinyurl and similar due to potential security problems, so I copied the ringtone file and it's here:

[76KB]

I'm assuming ringtones are MP3s. If not, I have a WAV file on another (powered-down) computer from which I could retrieve a 500-style ring file (assuming I'm remembering correctly -- it's been a few years and that system is running Win2K-SP4).

Reply to
Thad Floryan

It's one of the default iphone ringtones, and the one I use. I like it when my phone sounds like a phone. *

Reply to
PV

[...snip...]

The "classic phone" ringer is standard on all BlackBerries I've had. If the phone in question was a BlackBerry, the ring tone most likely came with the phone. So, one way to get the ring tone is to get a BlackBerry...

Before my BlackBerry days, I had a Motorola phone that let me use any MP3 as a ring tone. I recorded one of my old phones ringer and put it on the phone. Maybe you can do that.

If you continue to search, "classic phone" may be the magic search term.

Good luck,

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

I simply recorded a telephone ring to use.

My old cellphone allowed me to record my own ring tone:

1) rang a plain telephone (a 302 to be precise), 2) recorded it ringing, (experiment with where to hold the cellphone), 3) saved the file, 4) Pointed to that file to be used as the ringtone.

It was certainly not perfect, but better than the default tone.

My new cellphone has a default ring tone that sounds like a modern (electronic) phone ringing, so that's good enough for me.

To download a professional ringtone, one of the menu selections on the phone is "Get it Now!" or some fancy title. Click on that and follow the menu choices. I suggest doing it during offpeak hours as you may get charged for airtime. Yes, you will have to pay for it, so watch the prices and options carefully.

Reply to
hancock4

I entered "traditional telephone ring ringtone" into Yahoo and it gave me a big list of web sites with ring tones for download. Some even claim to be free. I did not venture to any of the sites, but that's how I'd go about finding it. And, now that I'm thinking about it I may try loading it onto one of my cell phones.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

The search term I used with Google to find the ringtone file named WesternElectric2500.mp3 was simply "bell 2500 ringtone". I did it again today and found the same URL reference(s). Just FYI.

Given the way-too-long URL ...

That's a free download in case it wasn't obvious. :-)

I've also since learned that an MP3 is apparently the most common ringtone file format, but there are others. Though that ringtone works in my Motorola RAZR V3, the primary ringtone I use sounds more like a nuclear air raid warning alert -- I need(ed) something that's different from everything else and that could also be heard over the noise in a server room. I may make that WE2500 bell ringtone my new default since I'm retiring this year and don't/won't need to be able to answer a phone 24/7/365. :-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

In that case, maybe you should make the "SIT Tone" your ringer. :-)

-Gary

***** Moderator's Note *****

I want Captain Kirk's communicator sound.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Gary

I think that was only two soft beeps. I also think it varied by scene and episode--sometimes the caller's voice came on "Spock to Captain!", other times it was the beeps. However, when the flipped the phone open to make a call, it was a different set of beeps.

That should be easy to make (see above on recording on your own). Write a simple little QBASIC program to generate the beeps any way you'd like and record them. The SOUND instruction plays the pitch and duration. With a FOR NEXT loop you can play the "red alert" siren sound they had.

If you have episodes recorded, play one with a 'red alert' scene, and record Uhaura or Kirk announcing the red alert. That would make for an interesting ring tone, especially in a group of people. (But it would probably get tedious after a while.)

Reply to
hancock4

Now _that_ one sounds "handy" (I can think of a number of 'excuses' :) were is it available?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I had to scratch my head and do a Google search to figure out what you meant -- Special Information Tone -- per:

[45 KB]

found at (the telemarketer- stopper website) :-)

After hearing it, I remembered I have about 30 or so such tone files on my old Win2K box. I should put those on my website so they don't "become lost".

Bill, it's been awhile since I've watched any of those episodes. Is there a specific episode you recall that has that sound prominently featured? If so, it'd be trivial to extract the audio to a file ...

***** Moderator's Note *****

I think any star trek would have it: I haven't seen one in years, but there's probably a copy of it online somewhere.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Believe it or not, it was one of the selectable "standard" tones builtin to the Motorola RAZR V3.

And there is another very obnoxious tone (also builtin) that I use(d) for incoming email. The reason for that is the ONLY email I would ever permit to be sent to my phone would be that generated by a server computer whereever I was employed/contracting to alert me to a power failure or an overtemperature condition (HVAC failure) in the server room requiring immediate response.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

The ringtone you're looking for could well be the Nostalgia ringtone. It comes standard on more recent Nokia phones.

Liron

Reply to
Liron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.