Can Somebody Please Explain CSD to Me?

I live in San Jose (San Francisco Bay Area) and have Cingular GSM service with a Nokia 6620 phone. I'm told that with CSD I can use my phone as a modem for my laptop and place a point-to-point data call to my ISP. Is that right? Does my ISP need any special equipment to receive this call, or does any regular dial up line suffice for the destination?

What do I tell the Cingular sales people on the phone that I want to buy? They've never heard of CSD and want to sell me either Laptop Connect or Media Net. Media net is certainly not what I want, and Laptop Connect is a) expensive and b) doesn't seem to work with my VPN.

I know CSD is only 9600bps and not as fast as EDGE, but I can live with that to save money.

Is this going to work when I travel around the US, or is this setup unique to each little Cingular area?

Thanks in advance for the help. I won't have any trouble setting up a dialup connection on my PC, but I'm afraid I don't know very much about cell phone technology. Sadly, all the Cingular sales people seem to know even less about it than I do!

Bob Armstrong

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.