Caller-ID says McGraw-Hill, voice says "Best Help"?

Curiosity made me answer a phone call this morning that Caller-ID showed as coming from an area 212 (NYC) number identified by name as McGraw Hill Com.

A female voice at the other end, speaking an intelligible but oddly accented English, asked for me by name, and then said "This is 'Best Help', it's a call about your computer, OK?"

My response? "No; not OK; thanks; bye." And I hung up. McGraw Hill, indeed!

This business of impersonating legitimate and well-known organizations by sending counterfeit Caller-ID data has got to stop. Are not the local loop providers somehow "accessories after the fact" to that fraud?

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:44:33 -0400, tlvp wrote in comp.dcom.telecom:

We got a 000-000-0000 call that the caller claimed happened because he was on VOIP. Does that make sense? AFAIK the VOIP services include Caller-ID. The caller still refused to identify his organization after being asked to do so.

On a similar note, if the whole point of ANI was to pass along the number to the person paying for the call, shouldn't ANI be passed for all calls to cell phones?

Reply to
Free Lunch

I note Skype used to send 000-000-0000, now it send 012-345-6789 on occasion.

Reply to
T

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.