About CISPA [telecom]

First SOPA, then PIPA, now CISPA -- read all about it here:

: .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp
Loading thread data ...

In the past, I have responded to reports like this by recommending wider adoption of end-to-end encryption, but I'm not sure that's enough anymore. The data CISPA will allow the government to access includes so-called "Traffic" intelligence, i.e., the records of who emailed whom. They have /some/ of it already, but CISPA will allow investigators to access forwarding and other information that wasn't previously available without a warrant.

Traffic intelligence can, unfortunately, lead to "guilt by association" problems: if you call a pay phone that's used by a local drug dealer, that doesn't necessarily mean that you bought drugs - but I have seen, first hand, how easily panic can sweep a government and its minions, and how misjudgements can compound each other until ordinary men are caught in a web of inferences that becomes self-sustaining.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.